Apr 3, 2013, 12:39 AM EDT
Well, that was unexpected?
The Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators combined for 97 shots – 47 for Ottawa and 50 for Boston – but only five goals on Tuesday night. The Bruins came away with the win, thanks to Nathan Horton‘s 12th goal of the season, coming just past the midway point of the third period.
Bruins goalie Anton Khudobin turned aside 45 shots – a number that is a tad surprising, considering Boston is seventh in the National Hockey League, allowing 27.4 shots per game.
“It’s always fun,”Khudobin told CSNNE.com. “I’m pretty sure for the other goalie it’s not fun right now, because he lost. But it doesn’t matter for me. I got the W. I’m happy with that. We got our points, and we keep moving forward.”
Indeed, Senators goalie Robin Lehner, who made 47 saves, didn’t quite enjoy the experience.
“It [stinks] a little bit because I think we are right there but just that extra five percent that’s missing,” Lehner told NHL.com.
“You can’t have a down period against this team, they take advantage of it. Today they scored two first-period goals, and they played very good. I think we came back and played better in the second and third. We have to play 60 minutes and unfortunately it wasn’t enough today.”
The Bruins, who acquired Jaromir Jagr in a trade with the Dallas Stars earlier in the day, are now one point back of the Montreal Canadiens for tops in the Northeast Division and second in the Eastern Conference.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)