Apr 3, 2013, 12:39 AM EDT
Well, that was unexpected?
The Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators combined for 97 shots – 47 for Ottawa and 50 for Boston – but only five goals on Tuesday night. The Bruins came away with the win, thanks to Nathan Horton‘s 12th goal of the season, coming just past the midway point of the third period.
Bruins goalie Anton Khudobin turned aside 45 shots – a number that is a tad surprising, considering Boston is seventh in the National Hockey League, allowing 27.4 shots per game.
“It’s always fun,”Khudobin told CSNNE.com. “I’m pretty sure for the other goalie it’s not fun right now, because he lost. But it doesn’t matter for me. I got the W. I’m happy with that. We got our points, and we keep moving forward.”
Indeed, Senators goalie Robin Lehner, who made 47 saves, didn’t quite enjoy the experience.
“It [stinks] a little bit because I think we are right there but just that extra five percent that’s missing,” Lehner told NHL.com.
“You can’t have a down period against this team, they take advantage of it. Today they scored two first-period goals, and they played very good. I think we came back and played better in the second and third. We have to play 60 minutes and unfortunately it wasn’t enough today.”
The Bruins, who acquired Jaromir Jagr in a trade with the Dallas Stars earlier in the day, are now one point back of the Montreal Canadiens for tops in the Northeast Division and second in the Eastern Conference.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)