Apr 3, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
If Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau had his way, Francois Beauchemin‘s name would be coming up in discussions for the Norris Trophy.
“It should come up,” Boudreau told the OC Register (paywall) about Beauchemin being recognized as one of the NHL’s top defensemen. “On what he’s done and where we are in the standings and how much he plays and how important he is to us — all those factors.”
Beauchemin, 32, is enjoying arguably the finest campaign of his career. He leads the Ducks in points (21) through 36 games — pro-rated, that’s a 47-point pace over an 82 game season.
He also ranks second among all NHL defensemen in plus-minus (+22), eighth among all skaters in blocked shots (85) and averages over 23 minutes for the second-best team in the Western Conference.
Boudreau figures those numbers and Beauchemin’s overall importance to the Ducks should put him in the Norris race — a race that appears to be pretty wide open.
Minnesota’s Ryan Suter, Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang and Montreal’s PK Subban are three of the names that routinely come up, though the likes of St. Louis’ Kevin Shattenkirk, Phoenix’s Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Ottawa’s Sergei Gonchar have all gotten some buzz.
Boudreau added that Beauchemin’s chances may be hindered by playing in the Pacific Time Zone.
“[Beauchemin’s name] doesn’t come up because we’re not in the East,” Boudreau explained. “He doesn’t have a point a game. He’s not on ‘NHL Tonight’ every night.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)