Apr 2, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
NHL on NBC analyst Mike Milbury is skeptical of events that led to last week’s Jarome Iginla-to-Pittsburgh deal.
“It was shady,” Milbury said prior to Tuesday’s Penguins-Sabres game on NBC Sports Network. “There were some things I didn’t like at all about that.
“I think it’s too bad we didn’t find out a lot more about it. [Bruins GM] Peter Chiarelli handled it, I thought, pretty well.”
Here’s the video, which also delves into a discussion of whether or not Boston “settled” for Jaromir Jagr:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Back to the Iginla deal…
In his latest 30 Thoughts column, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman touched on the subject of tampering — specifically, a “relatively new rule” that players can be equally guilty of tampering as a coach or front office member.
There were rumblings that Penguins captain Sidney Crosby may have reached out to Iginla, his former Team Canada linemate at the Winter Olympics, prior to Pens GM Ray Shero making the deal.
When asked, Iginla made it clear he never actually spoke with Crosby, but did acknowledge No. 87 may have played a role.
Iginla, who was traded to the Penguins on Wednesday night in exchange for college forwards Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski, along with Pittsburgh’s first-round pick in 2013, revealed Crosby had factored in him deciding to join Pittsburgh, adding he couldn’t say no to playing with two superstars.
“There’s some truth to that,” Iginla said, when MacLean asked if Crosby helped sway his decision. “I did hear that Sid — I didn’t talk to him before — but he’d put in a good word and I really enjoyed playing with him at the Olympics and getting the chance to meet him.”
Should note that, also in 30 Thoughts, Friedman explained that trying to prove tampering is very difficult, “unless you have a paper trail.”
Today, Bruins president Cam Neely went on 98.5 The Sports Hub with Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti and was clearly still irritated at how his club lost out on Iginla.
Here’s a snippet:
“We were told we had a deal. What happened from when we were told we had a deal until [Iginla] ended up in Pittsburgh is anybody’s guess.
“When you’re told you have a deal and you hang up the phone and think that you’ve got the player, I don’t know what else you could do.
“When you lose any kind of contact for a period of time and then you start to question what’s going on, and Peter [Chiarelli] does ask to speak with the player or the agent and is not permitted to do so, you start to wonder what’s really happening . . .
“We were told we had a deal done.”
Neely also added that there’s been no contact or conversation between Chiarelli and Flames GM Jay Feaster since the deal went down.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
‘Canes play tonight in Vancouver and tomorrow in Edmonton.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Bit of a dream season for the 27-year-old hometown boy.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Free agent signing has been a disappointment this season.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
“I guess I got him in the back of the leg.”
Dec 9, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
It’s a mismatch on paper.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
He led Philadelphia in scoring for a while.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Russian rookie is on fire at the moment.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Have won five of their last seven. Play tonight in Vancouver.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Hey, if you’re going to ask anybody…
Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
Stemming from Saturday’s ugly incident vs. Boston.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
It’s a Metropolitan Division throw-down.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 85
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 180
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (97)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (92)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)