Apr 2, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
NHL on NBC analyst Mike Milbury is skeptical of events that led to last week’s Jarome Iginla-to-Pittsburgh deal.
“It was shady,” Milbury said prior to Tuesday’s Penguins-Sabres game on NBC Sports Network. “There were some things I didn’t like at all about that.
“I think it’s too bad we didn’t find out a lot more about it. [Bruins GM] Peter Chiarelli handled it, I thought, pretty well.”
Here’s the video, which also delves into a discussion of whether or not Boston “settled” for Jaromir Jagr:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Back to the Iginla deal…
In his latest 30 Thoughts column, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman touched on the subject of tampering — specifically, a “relatively new rule” that players can be equally guilty of tampering as a coach or front office member.
There were rumblings that Penguins captain Sidney Crosby may have reached out to Iginla, his former Team Canada linemate at the Winter Olympics, prior to Pens GM Ray Shero making the deal.
When asked, Iginla made it clear he never actually spoke with Crosby, but did acknowledge No. 87 may have played a role.
Iginla, who was traded to the Penguins on Wednesday night in exchange for college forwards Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski, along with Pittsburgh’s first-round pick in 2013, revealed Crosby had factored in him deciding to join Pittsburgh, adding he couldn’t say no to playing with two superstars.
“There’s some truth to that,” Iginla said, when MacLean asked if Crosby helped sway his decision. “I did hear that Sid — I didn’t talk to him before — but he’d put in a good word and I really enjoyed playing with him at the Olympics and getting the chance to meet him.”
Should note that, also in 30 Thoughts, Friedman explained that trying to prove tampering is very difficult, “unless you have a paper trail.”
Today, Bruins president Cam Neely went on 98.5 The Sports Hub with Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti and was clearly still irritated at how his club lost out on Iginla.
Here’s a snippet:
“We were told we had a deal. What happened from when we were told we had a deal until [Iginla] ended up in Pittsburgh is anybody’s guess.
“When you’re told you have a deal and you hang up the phone and think that you’ve got the player, I don’t know what else you could do.
“When you lose any kind of contact for a period of time and then you start to question what’s going on, and Peter [Chiarelli] does ask to speak with the player or the agent and is not permitted to do so, you start to wonder what’s really happening . . .
“We were told we had a deal done.”
Neely also added that there’s been no contact or conversation between Chiarelli and Flames GM Jay Feaster since the deal went down.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
Nov 22, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
He’s out Saturday, for sure.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
A fun way to mislead people about Cory Schneider’s workhorse run.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
NHL makes it official.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Not a lot of good news in Edmonton.
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 0
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 2
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 12
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)