Trade: Jagr goes to the Bruins

Apr 2, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT

jagrstars

It’s official: Jaromir Jagr has been traded by the Dallas Stars to the Boston Bruins.

The deal was first reported by Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News.

In return, Dallas will receive forward prospects Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne. (Neither of whom is rated especially highly.)

The Stars will also receive a conditional second-round pick. (If the Bruins win two playoff series, the pick becomes a first-rounder.)

The Bruins have been pushing hard to acquire a top-six winger. Last week, they thought they had a deal for Jarome Iginla, but the former Flames captain ended up in Pittsburgh.

Much of the desire to add a forward of Jagr’s caliber had been due to the struggles of wingers Nathan Horton and Milan Lucic, though both those players have shown signs of offensive life in the past few games.

Jagr has 14 goals and 12 assists in 34 games. The 41-year-old is a pending unrestricted free agent.

The Stars also traded center Derek Roy to Vancouver today.

1. killerpgh - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Nice. Great locker room guys the Bruins just added……

• upyourstodd - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

sour grapes much?

• killerpgh - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Why would I be sour? The Bruins added Jagr who’s play dropped off a lot in the second half of the season last year. This season is more condensed so there is a strong chance the history repeats itself, imo. The Bruins wanted Iginla and the Penguins got him. Not sure what I have to be sour about.

• mp1131211 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Bruins got douched!

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM

You do know that Jagr has more points than Iginla right?

• killerpgh - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Since it’s all about the points clearly Chris Kuntiz is the 3rd best player in the NHL right now, right? Or is it possible there is more to it than just points?

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Wow! As if they need a locker room guy. Chara not big enough for you? No pun intended. Iginla out, Jagr in. Ouch! Terrible trade off.

2. buffalomafia - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I thought the Bruins wanted Breire?

3. canucks30 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Anyone else hoping for a Bruins/Penguins playoff series? I know I am

• bucrightoff - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Actually seeing them both get bounced in the first round would be way more entertaining.

• mgp1219 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Ain’t gonna happen, son.

4. ironmike778 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Love it.

5. steelers88 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Ugh hate Jagr

• zetaone - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

He helped bring you 2 stanley cups. Quit your crying.

• The Hockey Fan - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM

He wasn’t a fan before Pens Fans were est. in 2005

• handsofsweed - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

No kidding. I was in high school for those first two cups and literally had a curly mullett, just like Jags (mine wasnt as long and glorious and I didn’t have that poof thing going on up front, but I digress). I’ll always respect what he did for us way back in the day and don’t blame him for wanting out when he did. Face it, past ownership effed the franchise up in the late 90’s and alientated the fans shortly thereafter. Pittsburgh fans are as hardy as they come, but won’t tolerate firesales bc of incompetent ownership.

So, in a nutshell, zeta is right. Quit crying dude.

6. 19to77 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

So how many teams HASN’T he played for at this point? The lists have to be practically even now. He plays for two new teams a year!

Seriously, not even kidding. Avangard, Flyers, Stars and Bruins all in the last two.

7. supercoop8 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I think Jagr and Krejci will work great together on a line but also hope the storyline doesn’t become Jagr and Julien butting heads over a defense first system.

8. hockeyflow33 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

He’ll be awesome on the powerplay and hopefully he plays on a line with Krejci

9. nosefacekillah - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I would love to see him on a line with Seguin. He would really benefit from a guy that thinks offensive as opposed to Bergy’s defense at all cost. Not a knock on Bergy, his offensive contributions are remarkable considering how committed he is to playing D. Marchand is just luck to be on a line with two of the leagues most talented players that defenses focus on.

• bigkniht37 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM

you do realize Bergeron leads the team in points with 31 in 34 games right? guess that doesn’t qualify as a guy with offensive skills…

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Ever since the B’s won the Cup, the pink hats have come out of nowhere

• nosefacekillah - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Yes, and that is a very sad state when the SELKE winner is the teams best offensive player! You’re making my point.

• imleftcoast - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I’d love to see him on the golf course in May. Go Habs.

• mgp1219 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Mon-ray-all has nice golf courses. They were crowded last May & June, I heard.

10. spavs412 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Always a spot in my hockey heart for Jagr he was a superstar and many of my best hockey memories are with 68&66

• handsofsweed - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I think I’ll buy Sam a drink and get his dog one, too. Or scratch my back with a hacksaw. Or both.

• mgp1219 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Awesome!!

11. bruins18 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Is this actually true this time? Last time i saw an email from you guys it said “Iginla traded to Boston” which was false… Smh

12. valoisvipers - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Looks like Dallas has disappointed it’s fans and players once again. They are so close yet, now so far. This will not attract future free agents.

• govtminion - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Kind of starting to wonder if they don’t need to look at changing GMs… not too much has gone well there the past few years. (You know who I mean, I’m not typing that damned name if I don’t have to!)

13. hockeywithdrawal - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Congrats Bruins – should be a great playoff year. Jagr has been a lot of things in his career and I’ll love AND hate him for some of it, being a Pens fan – but the guy’s a freaking tank, and a hockey great. And above all else still plays great hockey.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

You are one of the only people that continually make sense with your comments, kudos

14. lonespeed - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Pittsburgh: ‘Hey Boston, we raise you one aging superstar.’

Boston: ‘Fine, we call. Show your hand.’

15. scotty1212 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

This deal is not done until Ray Shero says so

• ironyisadeadscene - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Per unnamed source: Dallas asked Shero for a list of teams he would allow Jagr to be traded to.

• govtminion - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Heh! OK, credit given, that’s pretty good. :)

16. gamechanger87 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Hahaha I heard Iginla was laughing when he read this article. Jagr is a has-been and hopefully will finally be out to pasture after they lose round 1

• supercoop8 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM

What did crosby have to “say” about it???

• footballfan17 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

mmmph mmmph mmmrr

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Not much since surgery. :-)

• bigkniht37 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

maybe you forgot to check the fact that Jagr has 5 more goals/points than Iggy…who’s the has been now?

• mgp1219 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Like you wouldn’t want him.

• mgp1219 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

This ^ was meant for gamechanger87

17. chanceoffleury1 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

It was fun growing up with you Jagr, but I just don’t know if I can keep riding on this coaster. Just when I thought the wounds of the Philly deal had started to scar over, you just dig that knife a little bit deeper into my heart. Silver lining is a Pitt/Boston ECF showdown to 7 games at this point looks like it could definitely turn into one for the books. Hope Sid’s parent’s gave him some good osteoblasts along with those hockey genes!

• valoisvipers - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Thanks for a new word chanceofleury and I hope they did too.
      Osteoblasts (from the Greek words for “bone” and “germ” or embryonic) are mononucleate cells that are responsible for bone formation

18. packerswin96 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I hope Chiarelli feels relevant now!

19. eaglesbest - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Jagr deal still not finalized so after what happened with Iginla ill just wait before I say anything

20. eaglesbest - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Hey killerpgh u wanna talk about play dropping off, the last time I checked all three players u got via trades have dropped off. Iginla isn’t nearly the player he was before. I still think he will help out dont get me wrong but Morrow and Murray are average at best just ask Crosby right now….oh wait he can’t talk just yet.

21. yield10 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Jagr for Payne and MacDermid???? I hope when GM Joe has his press conference he says “April Fools” we got a guy who will actually be a productive NHLer.

22. gamechanger87 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Iginla is girthier than ol greybeard jagr, just wait till playoff time.

• scottybcboy - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I cannot wait to see how big and grey that beard will be after two months of playoff growth!

23. blastfurnaceknows - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I didn’t really need another reason to hate the Bruins, but thanks anyway for adding a player who is a well-known pathological liar, compulsive gambler and self-involved jerk. Good luck with that douchbag in the playoffs (not really).

24. pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Jagr would be much more like in Pittsburgh if he didn’t burn his bridges the way he did due to the fact of him wanting out and also how he was a ghost during the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals vs. New Jersey. I do hope to one day see Jagrs number 68 hanging in the rafters of Consol eventually.

And there will truly be a lot of love in the air when these two teams faceoff again in a few weeks and if they meet in the playoffs.

• letsgopens8771 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Good move by Boston, let’s see if it pays off during the Playoffs… as for Dallas, at least they are making an effort to bring in young talent and build through the draft, but they are taking a gamble giving away all of these goal scorers and tough guys, too since Nystrom is next. I hear Senators, Rangers, and Devils in talks with him for conditional draft picks. Joe Nieuwendyk needs to get the can before he hurts the franchise any more.

• letsgopens8771 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Sorry, the above post was supposed to be a separate comment. pitpenguinsrulez, sorry, no one like Jagr anymore in Pittsburgh because this is the same Jagr that rejected a chance to play with the Penguins and the best player in the world only for more money. That is all he ever was, a money chaser.

• scalfor3 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Choice worked out for him in the end. He got paid more and went further into the playoffs

25. ragingyinzer - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Since when is Jagr a “good locker room guy”?

Also, are there casinos in/near Boston?

26. ragingyinzer - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM

ironyisadeadscene: You win.

27. gamechanger87 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

^ i’d rather have mick jaggr than jagr, he got those moves like… Gamechanger Iginla is guaranteed to hav a hat trick tonight and embarrass lowly Buffa-low. Vegas is saying that the streak will continue. PGH IS CUPSTRONG

• jaredphi - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Well, it won’t be an embarassment b/c it’s the end of the 2nd and the score is 4-1 Sabres favor.

28. letsgopens8771 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

29. jaredphi - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Excellent pick-up by Boston….as long as Jagr stays healthy and uninjured.

A good sign – he’s only missed 1 game this season so far

Seems like they underpaid too (even if that 2nd becomes a 1st, they are pretty deep in farm system…and the two prospects they sent to Dallas have underperfomed).

30. ajbaxter1975 - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Jagr’s prescence can only improve Boston’s offense, which is the only glaring flaw they’ve had in recent games.He stays healthy and the trade should payoff.

31. ajbaxter1975 - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I think the impact of that trade is already paying dividends based on the energy and performance of last night’s Bruins game against the Sens. Nothing boosts moral like playing with a legend and I think most of us here would agree that Jagr certainly qualifies.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches