Apr 2, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
In return, the Sharks (per TSN’s Bob McKenzie) will receive a second-round pick, a third-round pick (formerly Florida’s) and a conditional second-round pick in 2014 (dependent on Clowe re-signing or the Rangers winning two playoff series; if not, it’s a fifth-round pick).
Clowe has had a frustrating 2013 season, to say the least. The 30-year-old has registered 65 shots on net, yet he’s still looking for his first goal.
The Rangers, meanwhile, have the NHL’s worst offense, averaging just 2.26 goals per game.
So in that sense, there’s something rather amusing about adding a guy that’s been absolutely snake-bitten this season.
But it’s Clowe’s career body of work that had multiple teams — including Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Montreal — talking to the Sharks about the big winger. Twice he’s scored 20 goals in a season. Overall, he’s got 101 goals in 423 games, with 170 assists to boot.
Perhaps more importantly, he’s shown he can produce in the playoffs.
Of course, making the playoffs is no guarantee for the Rangers, a team many picked to win the Stanley Cup, but one that finds itself barely hanging onto eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
The Rangers host the Penguins Wednesday, then travel to Pittsburgh Friday for a rematch.
Clowe is a pending unrestricted free agent who’s in the last year of a four-year, $14.5 million contract.
Per terms of his no-trade clause, he first had to approve the trade to the Rangers.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, Clowe chose the Rangers over the Canucks.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)