Apr 2, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
In return, the Sharks (per TSN’s Bob McKenzie) will receive a second-round pick, a third-round pick (formerly Florida’s) and a conditional second-round pick in 2014 (dependent on Clowe re-signing or the Rangers winning two playoff series; if not, it’s a fifth-round pick).
Clowe has had a frustrating 2013 season, to say the least. The 30-year-old has registered 65 shots on net, yet he’s still looking for his first goal.
The Rangers, meanwhile, have the NHL’s worst offense, averaging just 2.26 goals per game.
So in that sense, there’s something rather amusing about adding a guy that’s been absolutely snake-bitten this season.
But it’s Clowe’s career body of work that had multiple teams — including Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Montreal — talking to the Sharks about the big winger. Twice he’s scored 20 goals in a season. Overall, he’s got 101 goals in 423 games, with 170 assists to boot.
Perhaps more importantly, he’s shown he can produce in the playoffs.
Of course, making the playoffs is no guarantee for the Rangers, a team many picked to win the Stanley Cup, but one that finds itself barely hanging onto eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
The Rangers host the Penguins Wednesday, then travel to Pittsburgh Friday for a rematch.
Clowe is a pending unrestricted free agent who’s in the last year of a four-year, $14.5 million contract.
Per terms of his no-trade clause, he first had to approve the trade to the Rangers.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, Clowe chose the Rangers over the Canucks.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)