Trade: Clowe approves deal sending him to Rangers

Apr 2, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT

Ryane Clowe Getty Images

Ryane Clowe has agreed to be traded from San Jose to the New York Rangers, according to multiple reports and confirmed by CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.

In return, the Sharks (per TSN’s Bob McKenzie) will receive a second-round pick, a third-round pick (formerly Florida’s) and a conditional second-round pick in 2014 (dependent on Clowe re-signing or the Rangers winning two playoff series; if not, it’s a fifth-round pick).

Clowe has had a frustrating 2013 season, to say the least. The 30-year-old has registered 65 shots on net, yet he’s still looking for his first goal.

The Rangers, meanwhile, have the NHL’s worst offense, averaging just 2.26 goals per game.

So in that sense, there’s something rather amusing about adding a guy that’s been absolutely snake-bitten this season.

But it’s Clowe’s career body of work that had multiple teams — including Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Montreal — talking to the Sharks about the big winger. Twice he’s scored 20 goals in a season. Overall, he’s got 101 goals in 423 games, with 170 assists to boot.

Perhaps more importantly, he’s shown he can produce in the playoffs.

Of course, making the playoffs is no guarantee for the Rangers, a team many picked to win the Stanley Cup, but one that finds itself barely hanging onto eighth place in the Eastern Conference.

The Rangers host the Penguins Wednesday, then travel to Pittsburgh Friday for a rematch.

Clowe is a pending unrestricted free agent who’s in the last year of a four-year, $14.5 million contract.

Per terms of his no-trade clause, he first had to approve the trade to the Rangers.

According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, Clowe chose the Rangers over the Canucks.

1. phillyphanatic77 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Phew glad he didn’t want to waive his NTC to come to Philly, we don’t need more power forwards struggling to score. Nice addition for the Rangers but idk if he’s really gonna help their inability to score.

2. ethanmacleod1685 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

So the sharks are clearly selling, WHY !!!!!!!!!!

• joelwrobinson - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Trading a guy who has ZERO goals isn’t ‘clearly’ selling..

• ethanmacleod1685 - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM

How is trading 3 players for draft picks not selling, wow I wish there was a website for people that actually know about hockey. Jeeeeeeze

• lvshark22 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM

We potentially got a better deal by moving Murray

3. govtminion - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

It just doesn’t feel like the trade deadline without the Rangers getting involved, does it? NOW it’s a party!

I’ll be honest, I can’t figure out for the life of me how this helps them. You can’t score goals, so you bring in what might be the most snakebit player in the NHL in that regard? They’d have been much better off taking Jagr for a second spin (assuming they didn’t try).

• jkay1818 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

the rangers on top of scoring desperately needed depth and opposed to last yr, are in serious need of grit, toughness and size. He was a must have for NY. sure they are deficient on O but they have other glaring holes as well, and Clowe has just addressed some of their needs. They didnt think about offense and used clowe as plan A but night in and out they have no imposing force. bickel, rupp, prust, sauer, scott, etc are all out or gone.

4. mclovinhockey - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

The sharks are a playoff team that’s selling. Hahaha

5. sjsharks66 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

2nd and 3rd round pick? What a joke. Doug Wilson, go to hell.

• esracerx46 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Dude Clowe sucks! Sharks made out like bandits! Quit being an annoying homer and come back to reality.

• sharksfan754 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Go to hell? I think you meant the NHL awards Ceremony to claim your GM of the year award

• joelwrobinson - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I see you in every post related to the sharks and i just want to say, YOU ARE THE DEFINITION OF A HOMER. Please, stop posting, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I’d say a 2nd rounder, Florida’s 3rd, and another 2nd if the Rangers go on a playoff run is a nice return for a 30-yr old, two-time 20-goal scorer who has not lit the lamp once this season. Especially since he probably would’ve left San Jose for free agency.

6. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I bet he scores at LEAST double the goals in New York.

…oh wait.

• barkar942 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I am glad to see that there are a few posters on here that have the same sense of humor I do.
      That being said, I am a Ranger fan and really find your comment not only funny, but worrisome at the same time!

7. cameltoews - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

This isn’t a trade to help the rangers score. This is a trade to help the rangers get back what they are missing when Prust left for Montreal, the grit, tough to play against, strong on the boards. We needed a physical presence in the middle of our lineup. Boyle certainly wasn’t doing the job. When the rangers play their game we all know they can be a hard team to beat.

8. sjawesome - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I wish it was to a team with a first round pick, but I’ll take it!

9. hanktheking - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I like the move for the Rangers from the standpoint of them losing a bunch of guys in the offseason and now they are no longer tough to play against. Losing Prust really hurt, hopefully Clowe can bring some grit and toughness at the very least.

• drone501 - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

they don”t need grit and toughness, they need goals.

10. sjsharks66 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Im not being a homer. Murray got a better return then Clowe did. They did not make out like bandits when teams were offering first round picks you tool.

• joelwrobinson - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

When the Sharks win the cup, I don’t want you attending the ceremony.

• ml3939 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

He is not a homer, he is a closet Penguins fan.

11. nyrnashty - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

This is sooooooooooo awesome! Maybe he can play on a line with Boyle and they can just block shots all game and help us lose. TERRIBLE! Moves like this are why we only have 2 cups since 1940. Fire Sather!

• imleftcoast - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

You didn’t deserve the one in 1994. Bettman gave it to you by jimmying the officiating and schedule.

12. sjsharks66 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM

As long as Wilson is the GM the sharks will never win the cup. Don’t order your cup final tickets anytime soon dude. The PHT sharks fans have a screw loose, seriously.

• sharksfan754 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM

can we trade this guy too

• sjawesome - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Clowe is a 3rd liner at best. I think the sharks clearly won this deal. Clowe wants too much money on an extension and the sharks don’t have the cap space (or desire) to keep him. Well played Doug Wilson, well played

13. nyrnashty - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Reading some of these comments from Ranger fans LOL. Even if we traded Sams hairpiece for him, we still lost the deal!

14. isithockeyseasonyet - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Did the rangers really give up all that for a guy who hasn’t scored this season? Since when was it a good call to boost your offense by adding a player on a 30+ game goalless drought? Thanks sather for keeping holmgren from doing something stupid…again

15. pone27 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Rangers (again) over paid, this time with picks.

Don’t care what non point attributing skill Clowe brings to the table, guy is not worth a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.

Your top 6 Fs that put up the points get the 1st and 2nd round value.

Guys like Clowe deserve a 3rd rounder and a depth F at best.

16. cameltoews - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Nyrnashty

What do you think the rangers should do? I think this definitely addressed some of their needs ( which for me is to never play Boyle or Pyatt ever again) we need scorers but not enough to trade kreider, miller, Thomas etc. Why trade for offense when guys like Gaborik And Richards are on the team. It’s their job to step up and score and it looks like Gabby is turning the corner (maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part)

• nyrnashty - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Honestly, I’m not sure at this point. I wish I had all the answers, but I don’t. I do not like moving these picks for him though. We already don’t have a 1st this year. Unless the Rangers get some picks back somewhere obviously this is a bad rental. It’s just too many picks going out the door in a league now where all teams rely on them. The cap is going down next year to what 64 million? Feels like I’ve been stabbed in the chest by losing these picks. At least the 1st was for Nash. I would have hopes for him maybe coming around next year if we were still going to have him, but he already makes 3.5 million and he’s looking for a raise, with the cap going down, we definitely shouldn’t resign him. His confidence is pretty shot by now at this point in the short season. We should’ve kept the current team used our draft picks and re-grouped in the off season. He’s not going to make or break a cup run on this team, so why bother trading future players? T

17. kgun80 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

The Rangers needed some grit. They aren’t bringing in anymore goal scorers. They are bringing in a player that can fit a necessary role. I do think its a good trade for both teams. But in the long run it will probably be a very good decision for the Sharks. At least they got something and the Rangers have a rental player they wanted.

18. cameltoews - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I agree that we may have given away too many picks. From what I have read, it looks like teams are interested in Boyle and the rangers want to dump salary before the deadline. I’m hoping we trade Boyle to recoup some of those picks we lost. This draft coming up is deep and I would be pissed missing out on all that talent.

• nyrnashty - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I’m hoping that Boyle can get a pick back. Hoping for a 2nd, but most likely a 3rd IMO. Probably have to add another prospect now to get the 2nd. Who knows maybe Clowe will turn it around here haha I don’t know! I’m just hoping at this point. We still have until 3pm tomorrow.

19. adge84 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I would have to agree. I’ve been a die hard rangers fan my entire life and clowe was the name thrown out there on the trading block I was praying we wouldn’t go after. I wasn’t overly upset until I saw the terms of the deal and now I have to wonder what the hell sather was thinking. A second rounder and a third rounder with the possibility of another second rounder heading into one of the deeper drafts. All this for a goalless third liner who is essentially another Pyatt who likes to agitate. It’s mind blowing were we just late to the party? There were so many goal scorers out there which we badly need and we bring in this question mark. I hope to god I’m wrong but I can’t see how this will benefit the rangers at all in this system. Sure he’s gritty but he also skates at half a mile per hour. Way to disappoint sather I hope we make another move before the deadline hits. Congrats shark fans you win this round

• nyrnashty - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I would take back Jagr in a second. At least he’s still good on the pp. He still has the shot and size can’t take that away from him and in this short season his legs have looked good so far in Dallas. I’ve been watching a lot of their games on Gamecenter because of him. He really surprised me looks like he still cares about winning!

• jkay1818 - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

He’s like Pyatt except scores a ton in the playoffs, is a monster when it comes to playing the body, is a good leader and fights heavyweights. He’s nothing like Pyatt. Clowe is exactly what the rangers are lacking from last yr. depth, grit, toughness and addtl leadership.
      They’ll recoup picks when they unload some guys tomorrow,

20. nicknyhc - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

The Penguins add Iginla.

The Bruins add Jagr.

The Rangers add….a guy who hasn’t scored a single goal all year long. Great move Sather. But hey, I’m sure he’s great at blocking shots and boardplay, right? This will really help drag us out of the goal drought we’re in.

What a joke. Fire Torts and Sather.

21. norcalsportsknowledge - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Has everyone forgot what this guy does in the playoffs? Wilson, you have a goalie playing lights out and you trade your three toughest guys, just before the playoffs. Sharks will be the softest team in the playoffs, just how Wilson likes his team. Looks like Wilson is planning for 3 or 4 years down the road. I’m starting to think Wilson doesn’t care about winning, just putting butts in the seats. Clowe will be missed, especially in the locker room.

22. icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM

It’s a good trade for the Rangers. Brings some attitude and grit to the forward position. We shall see if he can will this team down the stretch into May.

23. jaredphi - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Sorry Rangers fans…but the Sharks won this trade (just like Pitt won the Iginla trade and Calgary lost). NY simply overpaid.

Oh, and thanks for picking him up…so the Flyers didn’t.

24. norcalsportsknowledge - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Couture is going to take a lot more hits.

25. luciddream7 - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Not going to say I’m a huge fan of the trade from a Rangers fan’s perspective but I think Clowe fits the part the Rangers were most lacking. A tough, physical sometimes agitating player. I believe Prust was their biggest loss of the offseason. Those who think the Rangers need a scorer are silly. The last thing they need is another Gaborick or Richards in Torts offense. He doesn’t utilize those types of player. They need guys who throw hard shoulders and in turn will open up scoring opportunities for the offensive talent the Rangers already have.

26. hockeygal67 - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM

luciddream7 nailed it. So tired of the snide, ignorant comments about the 0 goals scored, instead of looking beyond that. These are probably the same fans STILL complaining about the loss of Prust et. al. (don’t even get me started on my annoyance level with that) and now they are going to complain about an attempt to fill that need? We have enough goal scorers, now we need the grit to open things up for them.

Sometimes I think most just post to prove to themselves how clever they are in their negativity without actually viewing it as at least an attempt to correct the mistake of letting a lot of their grit go.

27. monsor - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Wait, Sam Rosen wears a hairpiece????

28. jimw81 - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:16 PM

has anyone heard or seen Paul Holmgren?

29. multiplemiggs - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

hahaha what a joke of a trade…sather is awful hahahah in still dying…lets add scoring help by trading for a guy who has less goal than Marty Brodeur hahaha

30. luciddream7 - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I agree the Rangers need goals. Trading for Clowe can only help. What do you suggest? A Jagr or similar type player would have been useless. Only grinder types are useful on this team. Name a grinder who can score on the block.

31. multiplemiggs - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:41 AM

im still dying laughing over here hhaha will this be the one that finally gets Sather fired? No! because Sather has pictures of Dolan dressed as a woman sucking a dildo at a party, thats why he never fired him and never will…hahah what a joke this guy wants a raise?? I say give him a million for every goal he scored this season hahahah

32. nashernation - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Sather pulled another one out of his hat. The Rangers gave up a few future picks for a top notch power forward made for the eastern conference. Nasher and Clowe are solid moves for sure!

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches