Apr 2, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
In return, the Sharks (per TSN’s Bob McKenzie) will receive a second-round pick, a third-round pick (formerly Florida’s) and a conditional second-round pick in 2014 (dependent on Clowe re-signing or the Rangers winning two playoff series; if not, it’s a fifth-round pick).
Clowe has had a frustrating 2013 season, to say the least. The 30-year-old has registered 65 shots on net, yet he’s still looking for his first goal.
The Rangers, meanwhile, have the NHL’s worst offense, averaging just 2.26 goals per game.
So in that sense, there’s something rather amusing about adding a guy that’s been absolutely snake-bitten this season.
But it’s Clowe’s career body of work that had multiple teams — including Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Montreal — talking to the Sharks about the big winger. Twice he’s scored 20 goals in a season. Overall, he’s got 101 goals in 423 games, with 170 assists to boot.
Perhaps more importantly, he’s shown he can produce in the playoffs.
Of course, making the playoffs is no guarantee for the Rangers, a team many picked to win the Stanley Cup, but one that finds itself barely hanging onto eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
The Rangers host the Penguins Wednesday, then travel to Pittsburgh Friday for a rematch.
Clowe is a pending unrestricted free agent who’s in the last year of a four-year, $14.5 million contract.
Per terms of his no-trade clause, he first had to approve the trade to the Rangers.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, Clowe chose the Rangers over the Canucks.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)