Apr 2, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
In return, the Sharks (per TSN’s Bob McKenzie) will receive a second-round pick, a third-round pick (formerly Florida’s) and a conditional second-round pick in 2014 (dependent on Clowe re-signing or the Rangers winning two playoff series; if not, it’s a fifth-round pick).
Clowe has had a frustrating 2013 season, to say the least. The 30-year-old has registered 65 shots on net, yet he’s still looking for his first goal.
The Rangers, meanwhile, have the NHL’s worst offense, averaging just 2.26 goals per game.
So in that sense, there’s something rather amusing about adding a guy that’s been absolutely snake-bitten this season.
But it’s Clowe’s career body of work that had multiple teams — including Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Montreal — talking to the Sharks about the big winger. Twice he’s scored 20 goals in a season. Overall, he’s got 101 goals in 423 games, with 170 assists to boot.
Perhaps more importantly, he’s shown he can produce in the playoffs.
Of course, making the playoffs is no guarantee for the Rangers, a team many picked to win the Stanley Cup, but one that finds itself barely hanging onto eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
The Rangers host the Penguins Wednesday, then travel to Pittsburgh Friday for a rematch.
Clowe is a pending unrestricted free agent who’s in the last year of a four-year, $14.5 million contract.
Per terms of his no-trade clause, he first had to approve the trade to the Rangers.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, Clowe chose the Rangers over the Canucks.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)