Apr 2, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
In return, the Sharks (per TSN’s Bob McKenzie) will receive a second-round pick, a third-round pick (formerly Florida’s) and a conditional second-round pick in 2014 (dependent on Clowe re-signing or the Rangers winning two playoff series; if not, it’s a fifth-round pick).
Clowe has had a frustrating 2013 season, to say the least. The 30-year-old has registered 65 shots on net, yet he’s still looking for his first goal.
The Rangers, meanwhile, have the NHL’s worst offense, averaging just 2.26 goals per game.
So in that sense, there’s something rather amusing about adding a guy that’s been absolutely snake-bitten this season.
But it’s Clowe’s career body of work that had multiple teams — including Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Montreal — talking to the Sharks about the big winger. Twice he’s scored 20 goals in a season. Overall, he’s got 101 goals in 423 games, with 170 assists to boot.
Perhaps more importantly, he’s shown he can produce in the playoffs.
Of course, making the playoffs is no guarantee for the Rangers, a team many picked to win the Stanley Cup, but one that finds itself barely hanging onto eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
The Rangers host the Penguins Wednesday, then travel to Pittsburgh Friday for a rematch.
Clowe is a pending unrestricted free agent who’s in the last year of a four-year, $14.5 million contract.
Per terms of his no-trade clause, he first had to approve the trade to the Rangers.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, Clowe chose the Rangers over the Canucks.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 10
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)