So…where does Clowe go now?

Apr 2, 2013, 2:49 PM EST

Ryane Clowe Getty Images

Now that Jaromir Jagr and Jarome Iginla have found new homes in Boston and Pittsburgh, respectively, the spotlight on Ryane Clowe‘s situation in San Jose will only intensify as tomorrow’s deadline draws closer.

On Monday, it appeared that Clowe was on the verge of joining the Philadelphia Flyers. Obviously, that hasn’t happened.

If it’s not the Flyers, the Vancouver Canucks are reportedly interested in acquiring the big winger, even after they landed center Derek Roy today from Dallas.

Another team that could push to get Clowe is Montreal; however, the Habs may not be in the same “go for it” mode as Vancouver.

The Wild, Blackhawks and Rangers have reportedly shown interest too.

Clowe, 30, has a full no-trade clause, and according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, that may be holding things up.

Wrote Friedman today: “What the Sharks want and what Clowe wants don’t align with the best possible trade — yet. I still think it all gets worked out, maybe a day later than everyone expected.”

Despite a down year — just 11 points through 28 games, with zero goals — Clowe’s career body of work has put him in demand. He’s scored 20 goals twice and 15 or more five times. Perhaps more importantly, he’s also shown he can produce in the playoffs.

Update (5:35 p.m. ET):

1. isithockeyseasonyet - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I don’t care what you say, a guy riding a 30 something game goalless drought is NOT in demand and by that I mean nobody in their right mind is giving up substantial picks/prospects for him

2. packerswin96 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

The Sharks are in the playoffs, 2 points out 4th, why would they be trading him? Makes zero sense to me.

• phillyphever - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM

UFA in the offseason and maybe out of the Sharks plans in the future. Better to get something now for him than letting him walk and get nothing in return.

• packerswin96 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I get all of that, but trading a key part of the team now is like throwing in the towel imo

• joelwrobinson - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

what part of 0 goals for the entire season leads you to believe this guy is a ‘key part of the team’?

• sjsblitz - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

We dont wanna sign him for next season and they’re trying to get SOMETHING out of him. Not like hes really contributed in SJ’s recent success. Arguably Clowe and Murray were why we struggled

• pandorasdadca - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I love Clowey, but zero goals and leading the free world in stupid penalties and bone-head plays is not acceptable. If someone wants him to occupy their penalty box in the East, get what can be gotten for him!

3. canucks30 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Even though he’d likely be a rental like Derek Roy, he could be the missing piece in Vancouver

4. sharksfan754 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!

5. joelwrobinson - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I can’t see him saying ok to playing in vancouver.

• pandorasdadca - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I can’t see the Sharks trading him to anyone in the West.

6. canucks30 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

“Vigneaut was my coach in junior (QMJHL) and I know how he likes a physical and competitive team and it’s similar to us,” said Clowe. “We kind of clash a bit and get after each other. They’re fun games and the kind I like to be involved in — high tempo and with a lot of energy. It’s what I like.”

“I would love to play for him again. And I don’t look at Vancouver being that old or having peaked already and on the way down. They have a really good team and missing a huge piece with (Ryan) Kesler. Once they get into the playoffs, whoever plays them will have their hands full.”

— Sharks winger Ryane Clowe, a hot trade topic and pending UFA, on his junior coach Alain Vigneault and admiration of the Canucks.

7. lordfletcher - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I think GM Chuck Fletcher is pushing hard for him but not willing to give up much. Wild need his size especially since Clutterbuck has turned into scoring crapola this year and seems to be on a major decline….

I think clowe for a 3rd round pick plus someone like bulmer and pmb (contract has to go with) makes sense. Time will tell.

8. bouchez9393 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Come to Montreal Ryan! A Big body is what we need for the playoffs. Moen, Prust and Clowe on the wings of 3 lines would be fantastic. Physical presence every shift!

9. norcalsportsknowledge - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I hear he was asking for a 6 year contract extension from the Sharks and the Sharks are up against the salary cap next year, that’s the only reason I can see the Sharks wanting to trade him. If they don’t get a #1 pick or a good prospect, then Sharks need to keep him for the playoffs. This guy was built for the playoffs.

• lordfletcher - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

He’s asking for 6 years so he ends up with something near a 4 year deal.

I doubt the sharks get a first for him, if someone offered a 1st, this deal would be done.

2nd or 3rd makes more sense, depending on what prospects are involved

10. mclovinhockey - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Philly has absolutely no need for him.
    They have simmonds and hartnell doing the job as grinders who are better at it than clowe, unless Philly plans to move one of them for clowe and get a pick or two in return I don’t see the point in this.

Also the rumours of Philly sending coots to SJ for Clowe just make me laugh. It would actually hurt both teams since Philly needs D (even if it comes from O), and the sharks will barley have any size that uses their body if they move Clowe.
    This is all laughable… Unless it happens, then it’s just sad

• lordfletcher - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Is it possible for Simmonds to be traded or is he considered non-tradable at this point.

Its not going to happen but I’d love for him to be on the wild and I’d give up a lot to have him. Curious is all.

Thanks.

• President Charles Logan - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Giroux is probably the only untouchable player right now on the flyers

11. mclovinhockey - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Simmonds doesn’t have a NTC or anything like that if that’s what you are asking. He is a huge fan favourite in Philly, like he was in LA for the few that saw him at that time. I still don’t see simmonds getting moved or clowe in a flyers jersey but until Richards got moved I thought he would be a flyer for ever so who knows with homer as the GM haha

• lordfletcher - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I know Simmonds doesn’t have a NTC but his contract is just beautiful, so for that I always figured he would almost be considered unmovable. The only way I see Philly moving him is if they are getting a top 2 Dman which clearly no one is trading.

I would love to see Fletcher make a huge move like this but again, I don’t think it could happen because we don’t have enough deep D prospects outside of Dumba which I would think the Wild wouldn’t trade. They would move several picks and other prospects like, Zack Phillips / goalie prospect Darcy Kuemper / Forwards Lucia / Haula / Bussieres / Bulmer / possibly Johan Larsson …. who knows

12. icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Unless Clowe can play D, I don’t see the benefit of having him on the Flyers. He fits the Flyers’ brand of hockey but I don’t think he is worth whatever SJ asking for return.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches