Apr 2, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are just one point out of the playoffs with 13 games to play.
If that wasn’t enough of an indicator they weren’t going to unload players at Wednesday’s trade deadline, captain Shawn Horcoff has all but made it official.
“We’ve pretty much established that we’re not going to be sellers,” Horcoff told the Edmonton Journal on Tuesday. “It would even be nice to add for once. But even if we don’t do anything, we’re comfortable with what we have in here.
“We’re really starting to find our stride as a team.”
The Oilers have won four straight and seven of 11, with a number of victories coming against teams they’re chasing for the final playoff spot.
Recent victories over Nashville, St. Louis and Columbus have gone a long way in getting Edmonton back into the mix — the Oilers were sitting 14th in the Western Conference on Mar. 8.
As such, the club could be deadline buyers for the first time in a long time.
Last year, the team made a “hockey trade” — flipping defenseman Tom Gilbert to Minnesota for Nick Schultz — and the year prior, they dealt Dustin Penner for a prospect (Colten Teubert) and a first- and third-round pick.
“I hope they are going to keep this team together. We are extremely close to the playoffs,” Smid told The Journal. “I think we have something special going on here — and we haven’t been in this situation for several years now.”
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)