Apr 2, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are just one point out of the playoffs with 13 games to play.
If that wasn’t enough of an indicator they weren’t going to unload players at Wednesday’s trade deadline, captain Shawn Horcoff has all but made it official.
“We’ve pretty much established that we’re not going to be sellers,” Horcoff told the Edmonton Journal on Tuesday. “It would even be nice to add for once. But even if we don’t do anything, we’re comfortable with what we have in here.
“We’re really starting to find our stride as a team.”
The Oilers have won four straight and seven of 11, with a number of victories coming against teams they’re chasing for the final playoff spot.
Recent victories over Nashville, St. Louis and Columbus have gone a long way in getting Edmonton back into the mix — the Oilers were sitting 14th in the Western Conference on Mar. 8.
As such, the club could be deadline buyers for the first time in a long time.
Last year, the team made a “hockey trade” — flipping defenseman Tom Gilbert to Minnesota for Nick Schultz — and the year prior, they dealt Dustin Penner for a prospect (Colten Teubert) and a first- and third-round pick.
“I hope they are going to keep this team together. We are extremely close to the playoffs,” Smid told The Journal. “I think we have something special going on here — and we haven’t been in this situation for several years now.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)