Apr 2, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
The Sabres will once again be without their top scorer tonight when they take on the Penguins in Pittsburgh (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
The Sabres are 13th in the Eastern Conference, five points back of a playoff spot with just 12 games remaining in what’s been another disappointing season.
Vanek is just one of a number of key Buffalo players that’s heard his name come up in trade rumors. Captain Jason Pominville and goalie Ryan Miller could also potentially be moved by Wednesday’s deadline.
“I understand the business of things,” Pominville said today, per the Buffalo News.
“I understand [Sabres general manager Darcy Regier] has a job to do, and he’s trying to do his best to do what’s best for the team and the franchise. By no means does it mean I’m gone or stuff like that. I think it’s just part of the process. It’s a step that he has to do and he has to deal with.
“It could happen, but would I be completely shocked if it didn’t? Probably not.”
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5