Apr 2, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
The Sabres will once again be without their top scorer tonight when they take on the Penguins in Pittsburgh (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
The Sabres are 13th in the Eastern Conference, five points back of a playoff spot with just 12 games remaining in what’s been another disappointing season.
Vanek is just one of a number of key Buffalo players that’s heard his name come up in trade rumors. Captain Jason Pominville and goalie Ryan Miller could also potentially be moved by Wednesday’s deadline.
“I understand the business of things,” Pominville said today, per the Buffalo News.
“I understand [Sabres general manager Darcy Regier] has a job to do, and he’s trying to do his best to do what’s best for the team and the franchise. By no means does it mean I’m gone or stuff like that. I think it’s just part of the process. It’s a step that he has to do and he has to deal with.
“It could happen, but would I be completely shocked if it didn’t? Probably not.”
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12