Apr 2, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
The Sabres will once again be without their top scorer tonight when they take on the Penguins in Pittsburgh (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
The Sabres are 13th in the Eastern Conference, five points back of a playoff spot with just 12 games remaining in what’s been another disappointing season.
Vanek is just one of a number of key Buffalo players that’s heard his name come up in trade rumors. Captain Jason Pominville and goalie Ryan Miller could also potentially be moved by Wednesday’s deadline.
“I understand the business of things,” Pominville said today, per the Buffalo News.
“I understand [Sabres general manager Darcy Regier] has a job to do, and he’s trying to do his best to do what’s best for the team and the franchise. By no means does it mean I’m gone or stuff like that. I think it’s just part of the process. It’s a step that he has to do and he has to deal with.
“It could happen, but would I be completely shocked if it didn’t? Probably not.”
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 12
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)