Apr 2, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
The Jets continue their efforts to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs in just their second year back in Winnipeg.
The way they’ve playing of late, that may just have to wait until next year. The Jets have lost three consecutive games but still hold the third seed in the Eastern Conference standings courtesy of the fact they lead the Southeast Division by four points over the Carolina Hurricanes.
On Monday, with a chance to put some distance between them and the Hurricanes, the Jets lost 4-2 to the New York Rangers in a result highlighted by a pivotal short-handed goal given up to Ryan Callahan in the second period.
The Callahan short-handed marker turned a 2-1 Jets’ lead into a tie hockey game, and the Rangers took over from there.
Meanwhile, Winnipeg’s struggles on the power play continue. The Jets are 26th in the NHL on the power play, which is operating at 13.4 per cent. But not only are the Jets not capitalizing on their power play chances, they gave up a goal with the man advantage, which only adds to this late-season swoon.
“You can’t continue down the power-play road because it’s going to end up catching up to us,” Jets head coach Claude Noel told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“We’ve known that all year. You can’t come down to the crunch time and expect that you get five or six power plays and you don’t capitalize on any of them. It’s going to come back and hurt you.”
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)