Apr 2, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
The Jets continue their efforts to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs in just their second year back in Winnipeg.
The way they’ve playing of late, that may just have to wait until next year. The Jets have lost three consecutive games but still hold the third seed in the Eastern Conference standings courtesy of the fact they lead the Southeast Division by four points over the Carolina Hurricanes.
On Monday, with a chance to put some distance between them and the Hurricanes, the Jets lost 4-2 to the New York Rangers in a result highlighted by a pivotal short-handed goal given up to Ryan Callahan in the second period.
The Callahan short-handed marker turned a 2-1 Jets’ lead into a tie hockey game, and the Rangers took over from there.
Meanwhile, Winnipeg’s struggles on the power play continue. The Jets are 26th in the NHL on the power play, which is operating at 13.4 per cent. But not only are the Jets not capitalizing on their power play chances, they gave up a goal with the man advantage, which only adds to this late-season swoon.
“You can’t continue down the power-play road because it’s going to end up catching up to us,” Jets head coach Claude Noel told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“We’ve known that all year. You can’t come down to the crunch time and expect that you get five or six power plays and you don’t capitalize on any of them. It’s going to come back and hurt you.”
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)