Apr 2, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
The Jets continue their efforts to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs in just their second year back in Winnipeg.
The way they’ve playing of late, that may just have to wait until next year. The Jets have lost three consecutive games but still hold the third seed in the Eastern Conference standings courtesy of the fact they lead the Southeast Division by four points over the Carolina Hurricanes.
On Monday, with a chance to put some distance between them and the Hurricanes, the Jets lost 4-2 to the New York Rangers in a result highlighted by a pivotal short-handed goal given up to Ryan Callahan in the second period.
The Callahan short-handed marker turned a 2-1 Jets’ lead into a tie hockey game, and the Rangers took over from there.
Meanwhile, Winnipeg’s struggles on the power play continue. The Jets are 26th in the NHL on the power play, which is operating at 13.4 per cent. But not only are the Jets not capitalizing on their power play chances, they gave up a goal with the man advantage, which only adds to this late-season swoon.
“You can’t continue down the power-play road because it’s going to end up catching up to us,” Jets head coach Claude Noel told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“We’ve known that all year. You can’t come down to the crunch time and expect that you get five or six power plays and you don’t capitalize on any of them. It’s going to come back and hurt you.”
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 8
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 7
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 93
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (93)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)