Apr 2, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
The Jets continue their efforts to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs in just their second year back in Winnipeg.
The way they’ve playing of late, that may just have to wait until next year. The Jets have lost three consecutive games but still hold the third seed in the Eastern Conference standings courtesy of the fact they lead the Southeast Division by four points over the Carolina Hurricanes.
On Monday, with a chance to put some distance between them and the Hurricanes, the Jets lost 4-2 to the New York Rangers in a result highlighted by a pivotal short-handed goal given up to Ryan Callahan in the second period.
The Callahan short-handed marker turned a 2-1 Jets’ lead into a tie hockey game, and the Rangers took over from there.
Meanwhile, Winnipeg’s struggles on the power play continue. The Jets are 26th in the NHL on the power play, which is operating at 13.4 per cent. But not only are the Jets not capitalizing on their power play chances, they gave up a goal with the man advantage, which only adds to this late-season swoon.
“You can’t continue down the power-play road because it’s going to end up catching up to us,” Jets head coach Claude Noel told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“We’ve known that all year. You can’t come down to the crunch time and expect that you get five or six power plays and you don’t capitalize on any of them. It’s going to come back and hurt you.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)