Apr 2, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price was curious about how many calories he burns during the course of an average evening — from when he arrives at the arena, through his warm-up and the duration of that night’s game.
So, five games ago, he decided to start wearing a heart monitor.
“I wear it in practice and I’ve been curious. I never knew what [calories] I burned during a game,” Price told the Montreal Gazette. “It will give me a good idea what I should be eating and how many calories I should be consuming.”
Here’s more, from The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs:
For the past five games, Price has worn a multi-function heart monitor, the wristwatch receiver clipped into the back of his pants.
The man indeed has a pulse, topping out at 190 beats per minute during the game with an average of 120 bpm, which includes pregame and intermissions.
The “2336” readout on the watch following Monday’s game [a 4-1 win over Carolina] wasn’t the time of night, but rather his estimated calorie expenditure of the previous 5½ hours.
Strapping the monitor on his chest when he arrives at the arena, Price figures by the data recorded that he burns about 300 calories over two hours, then another 2,000 during the warmup and game.
Price is an interesting case study when it comes to this sort of thing, as he’s handled one of the NHL’s heaviest workloads over the last three years.
In 2010-11, he played in 72 games — second only to Carolina’s Cam Ward — and played in 65 last season, a number that likely would’ve been higher had he not been shut down late in the year with a concussion.
This season, Price has been his usual busy self, starting 29 of Montreal’s 35 games. But the club has been a little more judicious in its use of backup Peter Budaj, who has made seven appearances already.
Price says he’s enjoying everything about this season.
“There have been a lot of positives this year and not many negatives,” he told the Gazette. “We knew we had a lot of the right pieces to the puzzle this year.”
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 1
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 42
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)