Apr 2, 2013, 2:20 AM EST
Calgary Flames general manager Jay Feaster has traded away very distinguished hockey players in Iginla and Bouwmeester – expensive, though, with cap hits of $7 million and $6.68 million, respectively – and his club continues to plummet in the Western Conference standings.
On Monday, sans Bouwmeester, the Flames were beaten up by their Alberta rivals, the Edmonton Oilers, 4-1. Calgary sits 14th in the Western Conference, two points clear of the bottom-dwelling Colorado Avalanche.
Frustration brews among hockey fans in Cowtown.
Feaster accepted his share of the blame for the dismal position his hockey club is in, but also believes there are lessons to be learned from hard times like this.
“But the reality of it is, if it’s on anybody, if it’s anybody’s fault, then it’s my fault. I should have had the intellectual honesty even earlier and said this isn’t working.
“So shame on me, but I’m making sure we’re going to correct that going forward.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 38
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 115
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)