Apr 2, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Colorado is 10 points out of a playoff spot in the West and seemingly treading water. While they could be players at the trade deadline in one form or another, defenseman Erik Johnson is hoping he isn’t part of that fun.
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post hears from the Avalanche defenseman about dealing with rumors at the deadline.
“You just never know,” Johnson said. ”It’s probably an unnerving time for everybody. Anything can happen.“
“I love it in Colorado. I love all my teammates, and the coaching staff has given me an opportunity every game to play a lot of minutes,” Johnson said. “I want to stay here as long as I can.”
If anyone knows about being traded suddenly it’s Johnson as he was part of the late-night blockbuster two years ago with the St. Louis Blues that sent Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart out of Denver.
Chambers believes the Avs won’t be very active at the deadline so the players should be able to relax. Colorado has three veterans on expiring deals (Milan Hejduk, Chuck Kobasew, Ryan O’Byrne) and Hejduk is on injured reserve as well as a team legend. If anyone gets moved it’s O’Byrne and he won’t bring a huge return. Rest easy Avs fans. Gear up for the draft lottery instead.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)