Apr 2, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Colorado is 10 points out of a playoff spot in the West and seemingly treading water. While they could be players at the trade deadline in one form or another, defenseman Erik Johnson is hoping he isn’t part of that fun.
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post hears from the Avalanche defenseman about dealing with rumors at the deadline.
“You just never know,” Johnson said. “It’s probably an unnerving time for everybody. Anything can happen.“
“I love it in Colorado. I love all my teammates, and the coaching staff has given me an opportunity every game to play a lot of minutes,” Johnson said. “I want to stay here as long as I can.”
If anyone knows about being traded suddenly it’s Johnson as he was part of the late-night blockbuster two years ago with the St. Louis Blues that sent Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart out of Denver.
Chambers believes the Avs won’t be very active at the deadline so the players should be able to relax. Colorado has three veterans on expiring deals (Milan Hejduk, Chuck Kobasew, Ryan O’Byrne) and Hejduk is on injured reserve as well as a team legend. If anyone gets moved it’s O’Byrne and he won’t bring a huge return. Rest easy Avs fans. Gear up for the draft lottery instead.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)