Apr 2, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Colorado is 10 points out of a playoff spot in the West and seemingly treading water. While they could be players at the trade deadline in one form or another, defenseman Erik Johnson is hoping he isn’t part of that fun.
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post hears from the Avalanche defenseman about dealing with rumors at the deadline.
“You just never know,” Johnson said. “It’s probably an unnerving time for everybody. Anything can happen.“
“I love it in Colorado. I love all my teammates, and the coaching staff has given me an opportunity every game to play a lot of minutes,” Johnson said. “I want to stay here as long as I can.”
If anyone knows about being traded suddenly it’s Johnson as he was part of the late-night blockbuster two years ago with the St. Louis Blues that sent Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart out of Denver.
Chambers believes the Avs won’t be very active at the deadline so the players should be able to relax. Colorado has three veterans on expiring deals (Milan Hejduk, Chuck Kobasew, Ryan O’Byrne) and Hejduk is on injured reserve as well as a team legend. If anyone gets moved it’s O’Byrne and he won’t bring a huge return. Rest easy Avs fans. Gear up for the draft lottery instead.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)