Apr 2, 2013, 9:05 AM EST
Colorado is 10 points out of a playoff spot in the West and seemingly treading water. While they could be players at the trade deadline in one form or another, defenseman Erik Johnson is hoping he isn’t part of that fun.
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post hears from the Avalanche defenseman about dealing with rumors at the deadline.
“You just never know,” Johnson said. “It’s probably an unnerving time for everybody. Anything can happen.“
“I love it in Colorado. I love all my teammates, and the coaching staff has given me an opportunity every game to play a lot of minutes,” Johnson said. “I want to stay here as long as I can.”
If anyone knows about being traded suddenly it’s Johnson as he was part of the late-night blockbuster two years ago with the St. Louis Blues that sent Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart out of Denver.
Chambers believes the Avs won’t be very active at the deadline so the players should be able to relax. Colorado has three veterans on expiring deals (Milan Hejduk, Chuck Kobasew, Ryan O’Byrne) and Hejduk is on injured reserve as well as a team legend. If anyone gets moved it’s O’Byrne and he won’t bring a huge return. Rest easy Avs fans. Gear up for the draft lottery instead.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8