Apr 2, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Colorado is 10 points out of a playoff spot in the West and seemingly treading water. While they could be players at the trade deadline in one form or another, defenseman Erik Johnson is hoping he isn’t part of that fun.
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post hears from the Avalanche defenseman about dealing with rumors at the deadline.
“You just never know,” Johnson said. “It’s probably an unnerving time for everybody. Anything can happen.“
“I love it in Colorado. I love all my teammates, and the coaching staff has given me an opportunity every game to play a lot of minutes,” Johnson said. “I want to stay here as long as I can.”
If anyone knows about being traded suddenly it’s Johnson as he was part of the late-night blockbuster two years ago with the St. Louis Blues that sent Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart out of Denver.
Chambers believes the Avs won’t be very active at the deadline so the players should be able to relax. Colorado has three veterans on expiring deals (Milan Hejduk, Chuck Kobasew, Ryan O’Byrne) and Hejduk is on injured reserve as well as a team legend. If anyone gets moved it’s O’Byrne and he won’t bring a huge return. Rest easy Avs fans. Gear up for the draft lottery instead.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)