Apr 2, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was released from UPMC Presbyterian hospital on Monday afternoon following surgery to repair a broken jaw, but not before reaching out to his teammates.
Crosby reportedly wrote the Pens via email prior to leaving UPMC and sounded in good spirits, though clearly still dealing with the severity of his injury.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby wrote that he’s resigned to a diet of “soup and shakes for a while” and that verbal communication is pretty much out of the question “for another couple days” because he is “pretty swollen right now.”
Crosby was struck in the face by a puck in the second minute of the Penguins’ 2-0 victory Saturday against the New York Islanders, and subsequently was hospitalized so that he could undergo extensive dental work and have his fractured jaw surgically repaired.
Crosby, who could be discharged as early as today, has been receiving visitors since Sunday.
“People have been awesome at the hospital and guys have been in to visit,” Crosby wrote.
Couple things to note:
– Crosby’s jaw wasn’t wired shut. His inability to speak (and the liquid diet) is due to the aforementioned swelling.
– The Post-Gazette has a follow-up story claiming Crosby’s injury is similar to what Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger suffered in 2006. Check out the link here.
– Pens GM Ray Shero said he hopes to have a clearer time frame for Crosby’s return later this week.
– The Penguins were going to wear their blue uniforms on Tuesday night against Buffalo, but have scrapped the idea. Whether it’s related or not, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes that Crosby has twice been injured wearing the blue unis, and Evgeni Malkin was injured wearing them earlier this season.
– The decision to scrap the blues, the Tribune reports, was not made by Pens players.
Finally, it should be noted that NBC will be showcasing Pittsburgh’s chase to break the NHL record for consecutive wins — the current incarnation of the Pens have won 15 games, the 1992-93 edition won 17 straight.
Tonight’s game against Buffalo will be on NBC Sports Network at 7:30 p.m. ET, with Dave Strader and Brian Engblom on the call.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jul 10, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It’ll all make sense when you read what’s inside.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
Unlike what they did with Sean Monahan and Sven Baertschi.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Appeared in nine games for Boston last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Pictured: Dale Tallon.
Jul 9, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“We expect to have a decision by early next week.”
Jul 9, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Fairly significant pay cut for the former Wild winger.
Jul 9, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
One-year, two-way deal for the ex-Jets goalie.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
NHLPA released the dates today.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Big money for Martin Brodeur’s successor.
Jul 9, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Markov and Max Pacioretty also in the mix.
Jul 9, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Had that one great game against the Kings last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
$10.5 million cap hits each.
Jul 9, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
He coached in Washington, right?
Jul 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Still not clear how he hurt himself.
Jul 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Scored once with eight assists in his rookie season.
Jul 9, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Either trade him or kiss and make up.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s been a hot topic recently.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT
That’d be 21-year-old Ryo Hashimoto, who plays for the Oji Eagles of the Asia League
Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
The injury impacted his performance in the playoffs.
Jul 8, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
This time, it’s Colorado’s Conner Bleackley.
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 43
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 166
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 54
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (166)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)