Apr 2, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was released from UPMC Presbyterian hospital on Monday afternoon following surgery to repair a broken jaw, but not before reaching out to his teammates.
Crosby reportedly wrote the Pens via email prior to leaving UPMC and sounded in good spirits, though clearly still dealing with the severity of his injury.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby wrote that he’s resigned to a diet of “soup and shakes for a while” and that verbal communication is pretty much out of the question “for another couple days” because he is “pretty swollen right now.”
Crosby was struck in the face by a puck in the second minute of the Penguins’ 2-0 victory Saturday against the New York Islanders, and subsequently was hospitalized so that he could undergo extensive dental work and have his fractured jaw surgically repaired.
Crosby, who could be discharged as early as today, has been receiving visitors since Sunday.
“People have been awesome at the hospital and guys have been in to visit,” Crosby wrote.
Couple things to note:
— Crosby’s jaw wasn’t wired shut. His inability to speak (and the liquid diet) is due to the aforementioned swelling.
— The Post-Gazette has a follow-up story claiming Crosby’s injury is similar to what Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger suffered in 2006. Check out the link here.
— Pens GM Ray Shero said he hopes to have a clearer time frame for Crosby’s return later this week.
— The Penguins were going to wear their blue uniforms on Tuesday night against Buffalo, but have scrapped the idea. Whether it’s related or not, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes that Crosby has twice been injured wearing the blue unis, and Evgeni Malkin was injured wearing them earlier this season.
— The decision to scrap the blues, the Tribune reports, was not made by Pens players.
Finally, it should be noted that NBC will be showcasing Pittsburgh’s chase to break the NHL record for consecutive wins — the current incarnation of the Pens have won 15 games, the 1992-93 edition won 17 straight.
Tonight’s game against Buffalo will be on NBC Sports Network at 7:30 p.m. ET, with Dave Strader and Brian Engblom on the call.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Apr 1, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
After scoring 16 points in 15 games.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
But that’s no longer the case.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”
Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
After posting three straight 20-goal seasons.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 11
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)