Apr 2, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was released from UPMC Presbyterian hospital on Monday afternoon following surgery to repair a broken jaw, but not before reaching out to his teammates.
Crosby reportedly wrote the Pens via email prior to leaving UPMC and sounded in good spirits, though clearly still dealing with the severity of his injury.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby wrote that he’s resigned to a diet of “soup and shakes for a while” and that verbal communication is pretty much out of the question “for another couple days” because he is “pretty swollen right now.”
Crosby was struck in the face by a puck in the second minute of the Penguins’ 2-0 victory Saturday against the New York Islanders, and subsequently was hospitalized so that he could undergo extensive dental work and have his fractured jaw surgically repaired.
Crosby, who could be discharged as early as today, has been receiving visitors since Sunday.
“People have been awesome at the hospital and guys have been in to visit,” Crosby wrote.
Couple things to note:
– Crosby’s jaw wasn’t wired shut. His inability to speak (and the liquid diet) is due to the aforementioned swelling.
– The Post-Gazette has a follow-up story claiming Crosby’s injury is similar to what Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger suffered in 2006. Check out the link here.
– Pens GM Ray Shero said he hopes to have a clearer time frame for Crosby’s return later this week.
– The Penguins were going to wear their blue uniforms on Tuesday night against Buffalo, but have scrapped the idea. Whether it’s related or not, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes that Crosby has twice been injured wearing the blue unis, and Evgeni Malkin was injured wearing them earlier this season.
– The decision to scrap the blues, the Tribune reports, was not made by Pens players.
Finally, it should be noted that NBC will be showcasing Pittsburgh’s chase to break the NHL record for consecutive wins — the current incarnation of the Pens have won 15 games, the 1992-93 edition won 17 straight.
Tonight’s game against Buffalo will be on NBC Sports Network at 7:30 p.m. ET, with Dave Strader and Brian Engblom on the call.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The two sides are not budging in contract negotiations.
Aug 30, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Will try to guide the Devils back to the postseason after two straight seasons without playoff hockey in New Jersey.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will wear a different look in 2014-15.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Joins the Prince George Cougars as an assistant coach.
Aug 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
After playing over 1,000 NHL games, he’s enjoying the time away.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
RFA David Wohlberg joins Albany
Aug 30, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
After spending portions of last season as a healthy scratch, he’s looking to revive his career in New Jersey.
Aug 30, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Father Time always wins … eventually.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
” … Until we go into the season and start playing real games, our relationship will be fine.”
Aug 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Can they shoot out of mediocrity?
Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Can he fit in well enough to embrace this opportunity?
Aug 29, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Should they make a move or play hardball with free agents?
Aug 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Jeff Skinner was also on the ice Friday.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Can’t top No. 4.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
“I’m sleeping with it tonight.”
Aug 29, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks let him walk.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Team has needs at center.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Played 20 career games with Boston.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Was schedule for Ontario Superior Court Sept. 8
Aug 29, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
A pair of hilarious ads to promote the game.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13