Apr 2, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was released from UPMC Presbyterian hospital on Monday afternoon following surgery to repair a broken jaw, but not before reaching out to his teammates.
Crosby reportedly wrote the Pens via email prior to leaving UPMC and sounded in good spirits, though clearly still dealing with the severity of his injury.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby wrote that he’s resigned to a diet of “soup and shakes for a while” and that verbal communication is pretty much out of the question “for another couple days” because he is “pretty swollen right now.”
Crosby was struck in the face by a puck in the second minute of the Penguins’ 2-0 victory Saturday against the New York Islanders, and subsequently was hospitalized so that he could undergo extensive dental work and have his fractured jaw surgically repaired.
Crosby, who could be discharged as early as today, has been receiving visitors since Sunday.
“People have been awesome at the hospital and guys have been in to visit,” Crosby wrote.
Couple things to note:
– Crosby’s jaw wasn’t wired shut. His inability to speak (and the liquid diet) is due to the aforementioned swelling.
– The Post-Gazette has a follow-up story claiming Crosby’s injury is similar to what Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger suffered in 2006. Check out the link here.
– Pens GM Ray Shero said he hopes to have a clearer time frame for Crosby’s return later this week.
– The Penguins were going to wear their blue uniforms on Tuesday night against Buffalo, but have scrapped the idea. Whether it’s related or not, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes that Crosby has twice been injured wearing the blue unis, and Evgeni Malkin was injured wearing them earlier this season.
– The decision to scrap the blues, the Tribune reports, was not made by Pens players.
Finally, it should be noted that NBC will be showcasing Pittsburgh’s chase to break the NHL record for consecutive wins — the current incarnation of the Pens have won 15 games, the 1992-93 edition won 17 straight.
Tonight’s game against Buffalo will be on NBC Sports Network at 7:30 p.m. ET, with Dave Strader and Brian Engblom on the call.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)