Crosby (broken jaw) out of hospital, still unable to speak

Apr 2, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT

crosbytowelgetty Getty Images

Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was released from UPMC Presbyterian hospital on Monday afternoon following surgery to repair a broken jaw, but not before reaching out to his teammates.

Crosby reportedly wrote the Pens via email prior to leaving UPMC and sounded in good spirits, though clearly still dealing with the severity of his injury.

Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Crosby wrote that he’s resigned to a diet of “soup and shakes for a while” and that verbal communication is pretty much out of the question “for another couple days” because he is “pretty swollen right now.”

Crosby was struck in the face by a puck in the second minute of the Penguins’ 2-0 victory Saturday against the New York Islanders, and subsequently was hospitalized so that he could undergo extensive dental work and have his fractured jaw surgically repaired.

Crosby, who could be discharged as early as today, has been receiving visitors since Sunday.

“People have been awesome at the hospital and guys have been in to visit,” Crosby wrote.

Couple things to note:

– Crosby’s jaw wasn’t wired shut. His inability to speak (and the liquid diet) is due to the aforementioned swelling.

– The Post-Gazette has a follow-up story claiming Crosby’s injury is similar to what Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger suffered in 2006. Check out the link here.

– Pens GM Ray Shero said he hopes to have a clearer time frame for Crosby’s return later this week.

– The Penguins were going to wear their blue uniforms on Tuesday night against Buffalo, but have scrapped the idea. Whether it’s related or not, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes that Crosby has twice been injured wearing the blue unis, and Evgeni Malkin was injured wearing them earlier this season.

– The decision to scrap the blues, the Tribune reports, was not made by Pens players.

Finally, it should be noted that NBC will be showcasing Pittsburgh’s chase to break the NHL record for consecutive wins — the current incarnation of the Pens have won 15 games, the 1992-93 edition won 17 straight.

Tonight’s game against Buffalo will be on NBC Sports Network at 7:30 p.m. ET, with Dave Strader and Brian Engblom on the call.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. gamechanger87 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Sid eating Soup, likely from a Can. How appropriate!

• brainoflindros - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Give him a break, he can’t speak…or whine!

• barkar942 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Oh, that’s too funny! After all of the Soup Can Army idiot comments we all had to tolerate!
      Serious injury. Sid is very lucky it wasn’t worse.

• barkar942 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Also, with all of the talk of visors that has been going on since the Marc Staal injury. I personally feel the real reason that most are against the visors is that it will curb fighting in the league due to the fact that they would have to take off their helmets to fight, and then what would happen if one of them hit their head on the ice and was severely injured or lost their life because of it.
        We have all seen injured players wear the following helmets with the protective face gear. Why don’t they just go to this for everyone?
        How much less serious would Sid’s injury be right now if everyone were wearing this?

• pajabroni - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I wonder how nice his handwriting is.

2. hockeywithdrawal - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Scrap the blues, and also make Crosby a healthy scratch for all NYI’s games. How many times does he have to get a puck in the face against the NYI before Bylsma realizes that JT’s got a voodoo doll behind the bench that he’s whipping pucks at.

3. jobotjones - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thumbs down here if you are a hater that will make a stupid comment about Crosby.
    Go Pens!

4. neilbarne - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

As a superstitious Pens hockey fan, I say thank goodness for getting rid of the Blue Unis. Let’s put them on the shelf permanently. If we want a throwback uni going forward, how about they use the uniforms from the 91-92 team…the blue ones have to go.

• chanceoffleury1 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM

They already announced earlier this year that they were already planning on getting new alternates for 2013-14.

5. sewell1977 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

…or S any D for a while either.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ahh man…The Pens might as well trade him then. For your Mom.

• theguru73 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

so you’re saying that his mom can handle shots to the face?

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

That’s the rumor – I’m hearing she’s a great locker room presence, too. They all were calling her the “C”.

• brainoflindros - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

The real C

6. steelers88 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM

They are getting new alternates for 2013-2014 season and I’m pretty sure there the 90′s jersey.

7. dvo085 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I broke my jaw and was wired shut for 6 weeks back in October (didn’t lose any teeth luckily) and was on an all liquid diet the whole time. As much as I want the Penguins to lose, I feel for Crosby. I wouldn’t wish that injury on anyone.

• steelpenbucs87 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

It’s a tough injury to be certain, but multiple reports say he didn’t have to have his jaw wired shut.

What that means from a healing perspective is beyond me but I would assume that would mean the injury isn’t as severe.

Also -sorry to hear about your bad luck bud.

• chanceoffleury1 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I’m an RN and while I obviously haven’t seen his exact injury, a jaw that’s wired shut will essentially always heal faster. It immobilizes the jaw in the same way an arm/leg cast would immobilize a broken wrist or ankle. So, if they didn’t wire it shut there is a really really good chance it’s because they were confident it’d heal before playoff time even without the wires.

• coronakid76 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I would…and it happened to him. I’m sure the officials are tired of him crying to them every time he gets hit or checked and are appreciative of the silence………..it’s even better it was his own D man that did it. Nobody outside of his team respects him!! If he just stops whining and being a dirty player he would be respected so much more. He is an amazing athlete, just the immaturity blows up the rest of his reputation.

• theageofquarrel - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Of course you would because you are a straight up asshole. You should be the poster child for contraception and/or abortions.

• detwings - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM

and i thought the liquid diet for 3 days after my wisdom teeth were removed was bad.

8. e5tolife - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

His jaw isn’t wired shut. The article was pretty clear about that

9. steelers88 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Many articles are saying that Crosby will be back for playoffs or even a few games before.

10. xflyersx - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Atleast we won’t have to watch him whine to refs for a while!

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Yes. Ihe has been known for that. I wonder if you actually watched the Pena play this year. Probably not based on your comment.

• drone501 - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM

why don’t you let it go.

11. 5hole26 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM

i wonder if he has a straw that goes from his mouth to his chunky cambpells soup can between his legs? yes?

12. shutyourfivehole - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM

“Beer and soup, that’s my thing” – Doug “The Thug” Glatt

13. csilojohnson - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Burn those blues!!!! Never again. Time to find another alternate.

14. csilojohnson - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM

All captains whine to the refs. Its part of being a team cap. Someone has to keep the refs accountable. Want proof? Note the horrendously lopsided officiating in that last game after he was knocked out of game. Dont worry philly. Giroux crys to the refs also. Hes just not good enough to get the constant attention Sid gets.

• lionstigersandwingsohmy - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I’m sorry, but I don’t remember Nick Lidstrom ever whining to the refs. Captains are supposed to state thier teams’ case, it doesn’t mean that all captains are whiners. In Crosby’s case, I would say you have it right.

15. nosefacekillah - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

First time in his life he isn’t whining about a noncall. (I know I was beaten to it but it bears repeating!)

16. gamechanger87 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I heard that Sid the Gamechanger was observed to have stallion-like thighs in his hospital garb, and that Errey’s visit concluded by him passing out from the sight of the thick thighs.

17. ddavis83 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

How are those blue jerseys even considered alternates? I swear it seems like they wear them more than the “regular” home jerseys.

18. chrisk61 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

crosby can’t talk ?? but how is he gonna cry and whine to the refs ? that’s a big part of his gm. that IS his game.

19. ibieiniid - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

What good is a blown call, Mr. Crosby, if you are unable to speak?

20. sjsharks66 - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Crosby whines too much? I remember in the playoffs Giroux whined to the refs about a missed call and took his frustration out by hitting Zubrus in the head.

But all you complaining about crosby probably don’t think that was a dirty play or a tantrum thrown by Giroux.

Didn’t your captain have his career ended by a high stick? Don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house.

• sewell1977 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Can’t tell if serious post, or mentally retarded.

• ironman721 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Please do not use mental retardation as one of your jokes. It’s NOT funny and very classless on your part.

21. phillyphanatic77 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

You really need to change that sjsharks handle to something Pittsburgh related already. Every Pens or Flyers article you find a way to hate on Philly. You can support whoever you want, just think you should finally reveal yourself as a worshipper at the church of Crosby.

I agree that Giroux lost his composure against Jersey but you can’t argue that Sid was a model captain in the opening round. They’re both young captains who aren’t on Prongers level yet when it comes to being a general. But I won’t take the easy shot at the Golden Boy for being unable to whine because of his jaw, plenty of others have already gone down that path. I’m hoping for a speedy recovery so we don’t hear any excuses from Pens fans as to why they didn’t win the Cup this year.

• ibieiniid - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

ya and I even likened him to Neo from the Matrix and got thumbs downed. crosby-hatin’ doesn’t pay.

• sabatimus - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Dammit, you beat me to it. I was obviously going for the “Tell me, Mr. Crosby, what good is a phone call…”

• ibieiniid - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ya… I tried to make ‘blown call’ work… may have been ill advised.

22. pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I hope they BURN these jerseys!! Aside from the logo nothing says old school about it!!. The last two jerseys worn by both Pennsylvania teams in the Winter Classic were an eye sore, for the record I’m not a Flyers fan. Both jerseys were a mash up of stupid looking stuff!! Nothing said old school about either one!! Reebok should be slapped for designing them and both teams deserve to be punched for approving both! Its called make your alternate jersey be a jersey that is of an older era in that teams history and not a mash up of many eras. I was born in 1993 and I grew up watching the 92-02 Pens corporate logo and even though people hate that logo, I’m in the minority of people that ACTUALLY liked it, hence why I own a Lemieux and Kasparaitis jersey from that era. I hope the new alternate for next season is a throwback of the 1992-1997 Diagonal Pittsburgh road jersey with either the 92-02 logo or the current logo on the shoulders. Also I think its time to ditch the same looking jersey that the Senators wear as well.

23. 5hole26 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM

i wish i could find sids teeth and make a magical necklass that makes me grow a thick loin just like him

24. ndrick731 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Come on people. Just because he can’t speak doesn’t mean he can’t cry

25. bdawk20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

“Mmmhhhhhmhh mhhhhmmmmhmhmmhm mmmmmmhmhh mmmmhmmhhm” – Sidney Crosby

26. gamechanger87 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I dont know about everyone here, but I miss the whimsical comments of those Soup Can Army pranksters, they really injected PHT with humor. I know im not alone, right?

27. ironman721 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM

There are a lot of sad, classless, people who have to “hate” just to hate. No wonder this country is going to 💩! No one should root for injuries or take some kind of sick satisfaction in them. Some of you people were raised by 💩bags but that’s no excuse not to try to be better. You are just plain disgusting and embarrassing! You suck at life!

• bdawk20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Hard to respect Crosby when he does not respect the game itself. Guy is as classless as you get. Unless you are from Pittsburgh where you turn a blind eye to that sort of stuff. You know, with Big Ben and all.

• ironman721 - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Crosby has never had any off ice issues, never charged with any crime, never arrested. As for disrespecting the game, you have no basis for that. He has been a clean cut, class act ever since the media and the NHL has promoted him as the “next one”. By your name alone I’m guessing your a flyers fan. What great contribution any member of “your” team made to the NHL. Answer = nothing. Now move along little troll. One more thing Big Ben has never been charged or even arrested unlike “your” dog killing con-Vick! Now move along TROLL!

• bdawk20 - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Respecting the game has nothing to do with off ice behavior and everything to do with on ice behavior. The true measure of a player as a man is how he handles losing vs winning. Crosby handles lising the same way a 3rd grader handles getting his ice cream taken away. He will never be the next great one because he disrespects the game and other players when losing.

By the way, when you automatically assume that I am a Vick fan, who is NOT embraced in Philly at all, you lose all your credibility. Your rapist QB is supported in Pittsburgh so I am not sure how my rants qualify as trolling (thanks for the tired insult though, you NEVER see that). All the thumbs down in these posts are from Pittsburgh fans who cannot handle the thought ghat Crosby is disliked outside of your town, which just provides yet another reminder of how he can never be the next Gretzky.

• theageofquarrel - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:34 AM

But yet the Flyers just traded a guy who has sex with minors for a guy who is a car thief. So you want to call somebody classless.

• bdawk20 - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:25 AM

And that has what to do with this conversation? You Pittsburgh fans really cannot defend an argument. Defend that Sidney Crosby isn’t a spoiled little baby reflective of his behavior on the ice and you go bring up another guy who was traded. So lets not even talk about Aaron Asham giving head shots last year or how many if your players were suspended in the playoffs last year for classless behavior. You really have no clue on how to defend Crosby. Talented yes, but you would hate him if he was on another team, and that’s all you need to know about Sidney Crosby.

28. 5hole26 - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM