Apr 2, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have had themselves a busy little Tuesday.
Shortly after acquiring Derek Roy from the Dallas Stars, the club announced it had re-signed winger Chris Higgins to a four-year deal.
Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston says the contact is worth $10 million all told.
Higgins, 29, was acquired from Florida at the 2011 NHL trade deadline and provided an immediate impact in the Vancouver lineup.
He scored eight points en route to the ’11 Cup final and scored three game-winning goals along the way, tying a franchise record for most GWGs in a single playoff season.
The Canucks rewarded Higgins with a two-year, $3.8 million deal that July, and he’s gone on to post impressive numbers.
In 2011-12, he scored 18G-25A-43PTS in 71 games, finishing fourth on the team in goals.
This year he has 9G-5A-14PTS in 35 games, tied for second on the team in goals.
How Higgins’ new deal affects Vancouver’s financial future remains to be seen. According to Capgeek, the Canucks have nearly $63 million committed to just 15 players next year, with the salary cap falling to $64.3 million.
The team has a number of unrestricted free agents — Roy, Manny Malhotra, Mason Raymond, Max Lapierre, Andrew Alberts, Cam Barker — and will need to make decisions on RFAs like Chris Tanev and Dale Weise.
Of course, the club could use one of its amnesty buyouts to relieve some of the financial strain.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)