Apr 2, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks were actively pursuing Ryane Clowe via the trade route, but it was the New York Rangers that ended up with the rugged forward Tuesday.
The Rangers acquired Clowe from the Sharks in exchange for a second and a third-round pick in this year’s NHL draft and a conditional second-round pick in the 2014 draft.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis addressed a number of topics in a conference call Tuesday, including the trade for center Derek Roy earlier in the day.
Clowe decision to choose New York over Vancouver was also brought up.
“He liked our team, liked the situation,” Gillis told reporters. “But (it) sounds like geography was the dictating feature.”
Clowe had played with the Sharks since the 2005-06 season. His best season came in 2010-11, when he scored a career-high 24 goals and 62 points.
“Ryane is a tremendously respected player and teammate, and an individual of outstanding character,” Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said in a statement.
“These deals involving players who have spent a substantial amount of time in and contributed much to San Jose are difficult but it’s also important for us to get value for a player who is set to be an unrestricted free agent. We want to wish Ryane and his family the best in the future and thank them for everything they have done for the Sharks organization and the San Jose community.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)