Apr 2, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks were actively pursuing Ryane Clowe via the trade route, but it was the New York Rangers that ended up with the rugged forward Tuesday.
The Rangers acquired Clowe from the Sharks in exchange for a second and a third-round pick in this year’s NHL draft and a conditional second-round pick in the 2014 draft.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis addressed a number of topics in a conference call Tuesday, including the trade for center Derek Roy earlier in the day.
Clowe decision to choose New York over Vancouver was also brought up.
“He liked our team, liked the situation,” Gillis told reporters. “But (it) sounds like geography was the dictating feature.”
Clowe had played with the Sharks since the 2005-06 season. His best season came in 2010-11, when he scored a career-high 24 goals and 62 points.
“Ryane is a tremendously respected player and teammate, and an individual of outstanding character,” Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said in a statement.
“These deals involving players who have spent a substantial amount of time in and contributed much to San Jose are difficult but it’s also important for us to get value for a player who is set to be an unrestricted free agent. We want to wish Ryane and his family the best in the future and thank them for everything they have done for the Sharks organization and the San Jose community.”
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (74)