Apr 2, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks were actively pursuing Ryane Clowe via the trade route, but it was the New York Rangers that ended up with the rugged forward Tuesday.
The Rangers acquired Clowe from the Sharks in exchange for a second and a third-round pick in this year’s NHL draft and a conditional second-round pick in the 2014 draft.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis addressed a number of topics in a conference call Tuesday, including the trade for center Derek Roy earlier in the day.
Clowe decision to choose New York over Vancouver was also brought up.
“He liked our team, liked the situation,” Gillis told reporters. “But (it) sounds like geography was the dictating feature.”
Clowe had played with the Sharks since the 2005-06 season. His best season came in 2010-11, when he scored a career-high 24 goals and 62 points.
“Ryane is a tremendously respected player and teammate, and an individual of outstanding character,” Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said in a statement.
“These deals involving players who have spent a substantial amount of time in and contributed much to San Jose are difficult but it’s also important for us to get value for a player who is set to be an unrestricted free agent. We want to wish Ryane and his family the best in the future and thank them for everything they have done for the Sharks organization and the San Jose community.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)