Apr 2, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli met with the media Tuesday following his acquisition of Jaromir Jagr from Dallas.
Not surprisingly, Chiarelli was full of praise.
“His career speaks for itself,” Chiarelli told reporters. “His game is still a strong power game. You watch him play and still see a lot of what you used to see in him.”
The move to get Jagr — sending a conditional second-round pick and prospects Lane MacDermind and Cody Payne to Dallas — came together late Monday night, the Bruins GM explained.
“I know he’s 41 now,” Chiarelli explained, “but he was one of their best players in Dallas.”
Jagr had 14G-12A-26PTS in 34 games for the Stars this season and brings a wealth of experience to Boston. He’s appeared in 180 career playoff games and won a pair of Stanley Cups.
Chiarelli likened getting that experience to the acquisition of Mark Recchi, who joined the B’s late in his career but played an integral role on the 2011 Stanley Cup-winning team.
Recchi was praised for his leadership and ability to build chemistry in the room, something Chiarelli hopes Jagr can do.
“You don’t have to be the guy,” he explained. “But you’re an important piece and can band together with teammates.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (123)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (104)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (100)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)