Apr 2, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli met with the media Tuesday following his acquisition of Jaromir Jagr from Dallas.
Not surprisingly, Chiarelli was full of praise.
“His career speaks for itself,” Chiarelli told reporters. “His game is still a strong power game. You watch him play and still see a lot of what you used to see in him.”
The move to get Jagr — sending a conditional second-round pick and prospects Lane MacDermind and Cody Payne to Dallas — came together late Monday night, the Bruins GM explained.
“I know he’s 41 now,” Chiarelli explained, “but he was one of their best players in Dallas.”
Jagr had 14G-12A-26PTS in 34 games for the Stars this season and brings a wealth of experience to Boston. He’s appeared in 180 career playoff games and won a pair of Stanley Cups.
Chiarelli likened getting that experience to the acquisition of Mark Recchi, who joined the B’s late in his career but played an integral role on the 2011 Stanley Cup-winning team.
Recchi was praised for his leadership and ability to build chemistry in the room, something Chiarelli hopes Jagr can do.
“You don’t have to be the guy,” he explained. “But you’re an important piece and can band together with teammates.”
- Video: Flyers’ Voracek gets profane about disallowed goal 0
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 13
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)