Apr 2, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli met with the media Tuesday following his acquisition of Jaromir Jagr from Dallas.
Not surprisingly, Chiarelli was full of praise.
“His career speaks for itself,” Chiarelli told reporters. “His game is still a strong power game. You watch him play and still see a lot of what you used to see in him.”
The move to get Jagr — sending a conditional second-round pick and prospects Lane MacDermind and Cody Payne to Dallas — came together late Monday night, the Bruins GM explained.
“I know he’s 41 now,” Chiarelli explained, “but he was one of their best players in Dallas.”
Jagr had 14G-12A-26PTS in 34 games for the Stars this season and brings a wealth of experience to Boston. He’s appeared in 180 career playoff games and won a pair of Stanley Cups.
Chiarelli likened getting that experience to the acquisition of Mark Recchi, who joined the B’s late in his career but played an integral role on the 2011 Stanley Cup-winning team.
Recchi was praised for his leadership and ability to build chemistry in the room, something Chiarelli hopes Jagr can do.
“You don’t have to be the guy,” he explained. “But you’re an important piece and can band together with teammates.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)