Apr 2, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
For all the positives Jay Bouwmeester brings, there’s one negative he’s always associated with:
Never making the playoffs.
Now, the 29-year0ld rearguard is hoping to help his new team — the St. Louis Blues — into the postseason. The Blues currently hold the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, which is good enough for JayBo.
He just wants to get in.
“I really think they have the team of anyone that can put a string together, get in the playoffs and with that experience from last year, do that much better,” Bouwmeester told Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
“Nowadays you’ve just got to get in. I viewed St. Louis as comparable to LA.”
Bouwmeester, of course, is referencing the 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings, who slogged through an uneven regular season and got in as the No. 8 seed in the West.
Only one other playoff team (Florida) had fewer wins, but that didn’t stop the Kings from getting white-hot in the postseason, racking up a 16-4 record en route to the first Cup in franchise history.
The Blues, meanwhile, finished second in the West with 49 wins, but were swept by LA in the second round.
While the team is hoping for a longer run this time, Bouwmeester would probably be thrilled to get that far.
This season, Bouwmeester played his 735th regular season game without a playoff appearance, breaking the career mark set by ex-NHLer Guy Charron — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without getting to the postseason.
While that dubious record likely hangs on him, Bouwmeester feels he’s joined something special in St. Louis.
“They’re a tough team to play against,” he said. “They’re a big team that can skate, just a team that is solid all the way through lineup.”
Nov 24, 2014, 9:01 PM EST
They enter the second period tied with Pittsburgh 2-2.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
Carl Soderberg – Loui Eriksson – Milan Lucic combined for a pretty one.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:33 PM EST
Maybe making room for Dany Heatley?
Nov 24, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Nov 24, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
It could be challenging if the cap ceiling doesn’t rise much.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:07 PM EST
Calvin de Haan and Thomas Hickey are out, Matt Donovan’s in.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
He’ll pester the Pittsburgh Penguins on NBCSN tonight.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
A rematch of the 2013 Eastern Conference Final.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Also, Brad Marchand’s off IR.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
Another veteran d-man gets a look.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Combined cap hit? $1.76 million.
Combined points? 34.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)