Apr 2, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
For all the positives Jay Bouwmeester brings, there’s one negative he’s always associated with:
Never making the playoffs.
Now, the 29-year0ld rearguard is hoping to help his new team — the St. Louis Blues — into the postseason. The Blues currently hold the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, which is good enough for JayBo.
He just wants to get in.
“I really think they have the team of anyone that can put a string together, get in the playoffs and with that experience from last year, do that much better,” Bouwmeester told Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
“Nowadays you’ve just got to get in. I viewed St. Louis as comparable to LA.”
Bouwmeester, of course, is referencing the 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings, who slogged through an uneven regular season and got in as the No. 8 seed in the West.
Only one other playoff team (Florida) had fewer wins, but that didn’t stop the Kings from getting white-hot in the postseason, racking up a 16-4 record en route to the first Cup in franchise history.
The Blues, meanwhile, finished second in the West with 49 wins, but were swept by LA in the second round.
While the team is hoping for a longer run this time, Bouwmeester would probably be thrilled to get that far.
This season, Bouwmeester played his 735th regular season game without a playoff appearance, breaking the career mark set by ex-NHLer Guy Charron — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without getting to the postseason.
While that dubious record likely hangs on him, Bouwmeester feels he’s joined something special in St. Louis.
“They’re a tough team to play against,” he said. “They’re a big team that can skate, just a team that is solid all the way through lineup.”
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for
Aug 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He’s got the size and skill to potentially make an impact.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Andersen, Gibson & Khudobin have a combined 27 Stanley Cup playoff games on their resume.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)