Apr 2, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
For all the positives Jay Bouwmeester brings, there’s one negative he’s always associated with:
Never making the playoffs.
Now, the 29-year0ld rearguard is hoping to help his new team — the St. Louis Blues — into the postseason. The Blues currently hold the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, which is good enough for JayBo.
He just wants to get in.
“I really think they have the team of anyone that can put a string together, get in the playoffs and with that experience from last year, do that much better,” Bouwmeester told Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
“Nowadays you’ve just got to get in. I viewed St. Louis as comparable to LA.”
Bouwmeester, of course, is referencing the 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings, who slogged through an uneven regular season and got in as the No. 8 seed in the West.
Only one other playoff team (Florida) had fewer wins, but that didn’t stop the Kings from getting white-hot in the postseason, racking up a 16-4 record en route to the first Cup in franchise history.
The Blues, meanwhile, finished second in the West with 49 wins, but were swept by LA in the second round.
While the team is hoping for a longer run this time, Bouwmeester would probably be thrilled to get that far.
This season, Bouwmeester played his 735th regular season game without a playoff appearance, breaking the career mark set by ex-NHLer Guy Charron — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without getting to the postseason.
While that dubious record likely hangs on him, Bouwmeester feels he’s joined something special in St. Louis.
“They’re a tough team to play against,” he said. “They’re a big team that can skate, just a team that is solid all the way through lineup.”
Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
One last chance for a tune-up.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
The second overall pick in the 2014 draft has gone pointless in three preseason games.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)