Apr 1, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Unlike most of his counterparts around the NHL, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland is all stocked up on defensemen.
In fact, the Wings have so many bodies on the blue line that they were able to send Kent Huskins to Philadelphia this weekend.
So if Holland is going to go out and get anything before Wednesday’s trade deadline, it won’t be depth on defense.
What might it be then?
“If we can do a legitimate trade to acquire a player that we think is a legitimate top-six forward, or a legitimate top-four defenseman, then we’re going to look,” said Holland, per the Detroit News.
One name that’s popped up repeatedly in trade speculation is Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester. Yes, he’s a defenseman. No, he’s not a depth defenseman.
But if Bouwmeester is available, the Wings won’t be the only ones interested.
Another name that’s been bandied about is Edmonton forward Ales Hemsky (though an obvious return the Wings could offer the Oilers doesn’t spring to mind).
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)