Apr 1, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Unlike most of his counterparts around the NHL, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland is all stocked up on defensemen.
In fact, the Wings have so many bodies on the blue line that they were able to send Kent Huskins to Philadelphia this weekend.
So if Holland is going to go out and get anything before Wednesday’s trade deadline, it won’t be depth on defense.
What might it be then?
“If we can do a legitimate trade to acquire a player that we think is a legitimate top-six forward, or a legitimate top-four defenseman, then we’re going to look,” said Holland, per the Detroit News.
One name that’s popped up repeatedly in trade speculation is Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester. Yes, he’s a defenseman. No, he’s not a depth defenseman.
But if Bouwmeester is available, the Wings won’t be the only ones interested.
Another name that’s been bandied about is Edmonton forward Ales Hemsky (though an obvious return the Wings could offer the Oilers doesn’t spring to mind).
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)