Apr 1, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Unlike most of his counterparts around the NHL, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland is all stocked up on defensemen.
In fact, the Wings have so many bodies on the blue line that they were able to send Kent Huskins to Philadelphia this weekend.
So if Holland is going to go out and get anything before Wednesday’s trade deadline, it won’t be depth on defense.
What might it be then?
“If we can do a legitimate trade to acquire a player that we think is a legitimate top-six forward, or a legitimate top-four defenseman, then we’re going to look,” said Holland, per the Detroit News.
One name that’s popped up repeatedly in trade speculation is Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester. Yes, he’s a defenseman. No, he’s not a depth defenseman.
But if Bouwmeester is available, the Wings won’t be the only ones interested.
Another name that’s been bandied about is Edmonton forward Ales Hemsky (though an obvious return the Wings could offer the Oilers doesn’t spring to mind).
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)