Apr 1, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
We have some terrible news to report.
Dmitri Uchaykin, a 32-year-old who played hockey in the Kazakhstani ice hockey league, has passed away after being the victim of a head hit during a playoff game.
Uchaykin was struck by Donatas Kumeliuskas during the contest, but was able to leave the ice on his own strength, according to the Sovetsky Sport via the Associated Press.
He drove home, but fell unconscious the following day. After being rushed to the hospital, he died of a stroke on Sunday.
Uchaykin played for Amur, which is now part of the KHL, for the majority of his career.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)