Apr 1, 2013, 8:49 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings have bolstered their blueline for a Stanley Cup defense, acquiring veteran defenseman Robyn Regehr from Buffalo in exchange for a pair of second-round draft picks.
The trade, first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, was contingent upon Regehr waiving his no-trade clause to join the Kings.
The 32-year-old agreed, reuniting him with LA head coach Darryl Sutter — the pair went to the 2004 Stanley Cup finals together as members of the Calgary Flames.
In his prime, Regher was one of the NHL’s most effective shutdown defensemen, twice representing Canada at the Winter Olympics.
He was traded from Calgary to Buffalo in in 2011 but never seemed to fit with the Sabres (perhaps a testament to playing the 11 years of his career with the Flames and in the Western Conference.)
Regehr had just 1G-4A-5PTS in 2011-12 and saw his ice time dip to 18:38 per game.
This season, he had 0G-2A-2PTS in 29 games with almost identical TOI.
Both defensemen have been out of the lineup almost entirely this season — Mitchell has yet to play, Greene appeared just once — and while Greene may return to action, Kings GM Dean Lombardi recently said Mitchell’s return is a “long shot.”
Update: According to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, the second-round picks headed to Buffalo are in 2014 and ’15.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)