Apr 1, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have bolstered their blueline for a Stanley Cup defense, acquiring veteran defenseman Robyn Regehr from Buffalo in exchange for a pair of second-round draft picks.
The trade, first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, was contingent upon Regehr waiving his no-trade clause to join the Kings.
The 32-year-old agreed, reuniting him with LA head coach Darryl Sutter — the pair went to the 2004 Stanley Cup finals together as members of the Calgary Flames.
In his prime, Regher was one of the NHL’s most effective shutdown defensemen, twice representing Canada at the Winter Olympics.
He was traded from Calgary to Buffalo in in 2011 but never seemed to fit with the Sabres (perhaps a testament to playing the 11 years of his career with the Flames and in the Western Conference.)
Regehr had just 1G-4A-5PTS in 2011-12 and saw his ice time dip to 18:38 per game.
This season, he had 0G-2A-2PTS in 29 games with almost identical TOI.
Both defensemen have been out of the lineup almost entirely this season — Mitchell has yet to play, Greene appeared just once — and while Greene may return to action, Kings GM Dean Lombardi recently said Mitchell’s return is a “long shot.”
Update: According to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, the second-round picks headed to Buffalo are in 2014 and ’15.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)