Apr 1, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have traded one of their big-bodied forwards.
It’s just not the one you’d expect.
Handzus, 36, will head to Chicago for the second time in his career. He was traded to the ‘Hawks in 2006 (in exchange for Kyle Calder), but suffered a torn ACL just eight games into the season.
It should be noted that, prior to getting hurt, he was a point-a-game guy.
Handzus has been with the Sharks for the last two years after spending four seasons in Los Angeles. He has 1G-1A-2PTS in 28 games this year and is averaging 13:32 TOI per game.
The Slovak’s real value will come in the faceoff circle, as he’s won over 55 percent of his draws this season for the Sharks.
He’ll also give Chicago size down the middle — he’s 6-foot-4, 220 pounds — and some additional playoff experience, having appeared in 74 postseason contests.
Oh yeah, “Zeus” should give the ‘Hawks another option in the shootout.
He’s been one of San Jose’s go-to shooters this season, taking a team-high seven attempts, converting three times (he and Logan Couture are tied for the team lead in shootout goals).
Should also be noted the move reunites Handzus with countryman Marian Hossa — the pair were teammates for Slovakia at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, where they finished fourth.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)