Apr 1, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have traded one of their big-bodied forwards.
It’s just not the one you’d expect.
Handzus, 36, will head to Chicago for the second time in his career. He was traded to the ‘Hawks in 2006 (in exchange for Kyle Calder), but suffered a torn ACL just eight games into the season.
It should be noted that, prior to getting hurt, he was a point-a-game guy.
Handzus has been with the Sharks for the last two years after spending four seasons in Los Angeles. He has 1G-1A-2PTS in 28 games this year and is averaging 13:32 TOI per game.
The Slovak’s real value will come in the faceoff circle, as he’s won over 55 percent of his draws this season for the Sharks.
He’ll also give Chicago size down the middle — he’s 6-foot-4, 220 pounds — and some additional playoff experience, having appeared in 74 postseason contests.
Oh yeah, “Zeus” should give the ‘Hawks another option in the shootout.
He’s been one of San Jose’s go-to shooters this season, taking a team-high seven attempts, converting three times (he and Logan Couture are tied for the team lead in shootout goals).
Should also be noted the move reunites Handzus with countryman Marian Hossa — the pair were teammates for Slovakia at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, where they finished fourth.
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 3
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)