Apr 1, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have traded one of their big-bodied forwards.
It’s just not the one you’d expect.
Handzus, 36, will head to Chicago for the second time in his career. He was traded to the ‘Hawks in 2006 (in exchange for Kyle Calder), but suffered a torn ACL just eight games into the season.
It should be noted that, prior to getting hurt, he was a point-a-game guy.
Handzus has been with the Sharks for the last two years after spending four seasons in Los Angeles. He has 1G-1A-2PTS in 28 games this year and is averaging 13:32 TOI per game.
The Slovak’s real value will come in the faceoff circle, as he’s won over 55 percent of his draws this season for the Sharks.
He’ll also give Chicago size down the middle — he’s 6-foot-4, 220 pounds — and some additional playoff experience, having appeared in 74 postseason contests.
Oh yeah, “Zeus” should give the ‘Hawks another option in the shootout.
He’s been one of San Jose’s go-to shooters this season, taking a team-high seven attempts, converting three times (he and Logan Couture are tied for the team lead in shootout goals).
Should also be noted the move reunites Handzus with countryman Marian Hossa — the pair were teammates for Slovakia at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, where they finished fourth.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)