Apr 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
The Calgary Flames continued their fire sale on Monday, sending defenseman Jay Bouwmeester to St. Louis in exchange for the Blues’ first-round pick in 2013, defenseman Mark Cundari and goalie Reta Berra.
The move marks the second significant player Calgary has traded in advance of Wednesday’s trade deadline. Last week, the club shipped longtime captain Jarome Iginla to Pittsburgh.
Bouwmeester was a highly sought-after commodity this season. He’s handled a heavy workload — averaging over 25 minutes per game — and has managed to contribute offensively, leading all Flames defensemen with six goals.
For St. Louis, the move is a bold one. The club currently sits ninth in the Western Conference with 36 points, one back of eighth-place Columbus. (Granted, the Blues have three games in hand.)
Heck, there’s even a clause in the contract outlining what would happen if St. Louis misses the postseason — in the event the Blues miss, Calgary gets St. Louis’ fourth-round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and the first round pick will be deferred to 2014.
It should be noted Bouwmeester has never participated in the postseason over the course of his 10-year career.
Financially, this is a big move for St. Louis.
Bouwmeester has two years left on the five-year, $33.4 million deal he signed in 2009, and carries a $6.68 million annual cap hit. According to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, Calgary is not retaining any of Bouwmeester’s salary in the deal.
As for the players Calgary’s getting in return? Cundari was an undrafted free agent signed by St. Louis in 2010 that’s currently playing with AHL Peoria, while Berra is a 2006 draftee that’s with Biel in the Swiss A League.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)