Apr 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
The Calgary Flames continued their fire sale on Monday, sending defenseman Jay Bouwmeester to St. Louis in exchange for the Blues’ first-round pick in 2013, defenseman Mark Cundari and goalie Reta Berra.
The move marks the second significant player Calgary has traded in advance of Wednesday’s trade deadline. Last week, the club shipped longtime captain Jarome Iginla to Pittsburgh.
Bouwmeester was a highly sought-after commodity this season. He’s handled a heavy workload — averaging over 25 minutes per game — and has managed to contribute offensively, leading all Flames defensemen with six goals.
For St. Louis, the move is a bold one. The club currently sits ninth in the Western Conference with 36 points, one back of eighth-place Columbus. (Granted, the Blues have three games in hand.)
Heck, there’s even a clause in the contract outlining what would happen if St. Louis misses the postseason — in the event the Blues miss, Calgary gets St. Louis’ fourth-round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and the first round pick will be deferred to 2014.
It should be noted Bouwmeester has never participated in the postseason over the course of his 10-year career.
Financially, this is a big move for St. Louis.
Bouwmeester has two years left on the five-year, $33.4 million deal he signed in 2009, and carries a $6.68 million annual cap hit. According to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, Calgary is not retaining any of Bouwmeester’s salary in the deal.
As for the players Calgary’s getting in return? Cundari was an undrafted free agent signed by St. Louis in 2010 that’s currently playing with AHL Peoria, while Berra is a 2006 draftee that’s with Biel in the Swiss A League.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Kick off six straight games at Rogers Arena tonight versus Anaheim.
Goalie nods: Greiss starts for Pens, which has nothing to do with Fleury getting lit up at the All-Star Game
Jan 27, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
“We know what the standings look like. That’s no secret. But we can’t make up all those points this week.”
Jan 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EST
We already knew he tried to use Seattle for the same purpose.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
And so ends one of the most storied goaltending careers in NHL history.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:56 PM EST
Bill Peters sounds fed up.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:35 PM EST
Defending champs are just 20-15-12 after 47 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
After failing to find a trade partner for the 28-year-old.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
Your move, Los Angeles.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
The worst of the storm was saved for New England.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Get back into the swing of things.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
“I’m still a little ways away. Hopefully I keep making the right strides.”
Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Update: Moving him might not be such a bad thing, really.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
Tuesday’s snowy links.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)