Apr 1, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Sharks winger Ryane Clowe could be traded to the Philadelphia Flyers today, according to a report in the St. John’s (Newfoundland) Telegram.
Clowe, a Newfoundland native, already has a multi-year contract extension negotiated with the Flyers, a source tells the paper.
The 30-year-old is a pending unrestricted free agent.
CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker confirms that the Flyers are in on Clowe, but cautions that nothing is done yet.
As for a potential return, one name that’s making the rounds is Sean Couturier. The 20-year-old center is having a tough sophomore season after an excellent rookie campaign.
Despite the speculation, it’s hard to imagine the Flyers would give up Couturier for only Clowe. Philadelphia also has a need for defensemen, which brings Dan Boyle‘s name into the conversation.
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12