Apr 1, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
The L.A. Kings needed a big, physical defenseman as they gear up for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Buffalo Sabres are sitting 13th in the Eastern Conference, slipping further and further out the playoff picture.
Sabres beat reporter John Vogl of the Buffalo News caught up with Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, then posted segments of the conversation on Twitter.
“We have to be realistic about where we are and the direction we’re going, and in this … case it was important to take advantage of getting draft picks and to use those draft picks to build,” Regier told Vogl.
The deal, however, is contingent on the 32-year-old Regehr passing a physical, according to NHL.com.
“We will withhold comment on the trade until after the medical exam is completed,” Kings general manager Dean Lombardi told NHL.com.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)