Apr 1, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
The L.A. Kings needed a big, physical defenseman as they gear up for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Buffalo Sabres are sitting 13th in the Eastern Conference, slipping further and further out the playoff picture.
Sabres beat reporter John Vogl of the Buffalo News caught up with Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, then posted segments of the conversation on Twitter.
“We have to be realistic about where we are and the direction we’re going, and in this … case it was important to take advantage of getting draft picks and to use those draft picks to build,” Regier told Vogl.
The deal, however, is contingent on the 32-year-old Regehr passing a physical, according to NHL.com.
“We will withhold comment on the trade until after the medical exam is completed,” Kings general manager Dean Lombardi told NHL.com.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 4
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)