Apr 1, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
The L.A. Kings needed a big, physical defenseman as they gear up for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Buffalo Sabres are sitting 13th in the Eastern Conference, slipping further and further out the playoff picture.
Sabres beat reporter John Vogl of the Buffalo News caught up with Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, then posted segments of the conversation on Twitter.
“We have to be realistic about where we are and the direction we’re going, and in this … case it was important to take advantage of getting draft picks and to use those draft picks to build,” Regier told Vogl.
The deal, however, is contingent on the 32-year-old Regehr passing a physical, according to NHL.com.
“We will withhold comment on the trade until after the medical exam is completed,” Kings general manager Dean Lombardi told NHL.com.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)