Apr 1, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
The L.A. Kings needed a big, physical defenseman as they gear up for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Buffalo Sabres are sitting 13th in the Eastern Conference, slipping further and further out the playoff picture.
Sabres beat reporter John Vogl of the Buffalo News caught up with Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, then posted segments of the conversation on Twitter.
“We have to be realistic about where we are and the direction we’re going, and in this … case it was important to take advantage of getting draft picks and to use those draft picks to build,” Regier told Vogl.
The deal, however, is contingent on the 32-year-old Regehr passing a physical, according to NHL.com.
“We will withhold comment on the trade until after the medical exam is completed,” Kings general manager Dean Lombardi told NHL.com.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)