Apr 1, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
The L.A. Kings needed a big, physical defenseman as they gear up for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Buffalo Sabres are sitting 13th in the Eastern Conference, slipping further and further out the playoff picture.
Sabres beat reporter John Vogl of the Buffalo News caught up with Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, then posted segments of the conversation on Twitter.
“We have to be realistic about where we are and the direction we’re going, and in this … case it was important to take advantage of getting draft picks and to use those draft picks to build,” Regier told Vogl.
The deal, however, is contingent on the 32-year-old Regehr passing a physical, according to NHL.com.
“We will withhold comment on the trade until after the medical exam is completed,” Kings general manager Dean Lombardi told NHL.com.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)