Apr 1, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
With the New York Rangers in serious danger of missing the playoffs entirely, retired Rangers forward Sean Avery recently took to Twitter to bash coach John Tortorella:
— Sean Avery (@imseanavery) March 31, 2013
In response to Avery’s criticisms, Rangers captain Ryan Callahan decided to speak on behalf of his teammates.
“Sean Avery’s comments solely represent his own thoughts and opinions,” Callahan said, according to the The Bergen Record. “He did not speak for us as a team when he was here and certainly does not now.”
It’s no surprise that Callahan wanted to distance himself and his teammates from those comments, but he took it a step further by specifying that Avery didn’t even speak for the Rangers when he was a member of the franchise.
The Rangers haven’t scored a goal in 127:47 minutes and have consequently lost back-to-back games. They’re tied with the ninth place New York Islanders in points, although they’ve played in one less contest.
That’s the setup for what will be a tough week for the Rangers as they play against the Winnipeg Jets, the Pittsburgh Penguins twice, and the Carolina Hurricanes.
Meanwhile the Columbus Blue Jackets’ surge continues, setting up a potential scenario where Rick Nash, after giving up on the franchise that drafted him and demanding a trade, might actually miss the playoffs while his former squad advances.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)