Apr 1, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
With the New York Rangers in serious danger of missing the playoffs entirely, retired Rangers forward Sean Avery recently took to Twitter to bash coach John Tortorella:
— Sean Avery (@imseanavery) March 31, 2013
In response to Avery’s criticisms, Rangers captain Ryan Callahan decided to speak on behalf of his teammates.
“Sean Avery’s comments solely represent his own thoughts and opinions,” Callahan said, according to the The Bergen Record. “He did not speak for us as a team when he was here and certainly does not now.”
It’s no surprise that Callahan wanted to distance himself and his teammates from those comments, but he took it a step further by specifying that Avery didn’t even speak for the Rangers when he was a member of the franchise.
The Rangers haven’t scored a goal in 127:47 minutes and have consequently lost back-to-back games. They’re tied with the ninth place New York Islanders in points, although they’ve played in one less contest.
That’s the setup for what will be a tough week for the Rangers as they play against the Winnipeg Jets, the Pittsburgh Penguins twice, and the Carolina Hurricanes.
Meanwhile the Columbus Blue Jackets’ surge continues, setting up a potential scenario where Rick Nash, after giving up on the franchise that drafted him and demanding a trade, might actually miss the playoffs while his former squad advances.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)