Apr 1, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
With the New York Rangers in serious danger of missing the playoffs entirely, retired Rangers forward Sean Avery recently took to Twitter to bash coach John Tortorella:
— Sean Avery (@imseanavery) March 31, 2013
In response to Avery’s criticisms, Rangers captain Ryan Callahan decided to speak on behalf of his teammates.
“Sean Avery’s comments solely represent his own thoughts and opinions,” Callahan said, according to the The Bergen Record. “He did not speak for us as a team when he was here and certainly does not now.”
It’s no surprise that Callahan wanted to distance himself and his teammates from those comments, but he took it a step further by specifying that Avery didn’t even speak for the Rangers when he was a member of the franchise.
The Rangers haven’t scored a goal in 127:47 minutes and have consequently lost back-to-back games. They’re tied with the ninth place New York Islanders in points, although they’ve played in one less contest.
That’s the setup for what will be a tough week for the Rangers as they play against the Winnipeg Jets, the Pittsburgh Penguins twice, and the Carolina Hurricanes.
Meanwhile the Columbus Blue Jackets’ surge continues, setting up a potential scenario where Rick Nash, after giving up on the franchise that drafted him and demanding a trade, might actually miss the playoffs while his former squad advances.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)