Apr 1, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Detroit Red Wings host the Colorado Avalanche at Joe Louis Arena at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Red Wings are only on a two-game losing streak, but it seems worse after their ugly 7-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks yesterday.
“Ugly is an understatement,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said in a Detroit News report. “Obviously, preparation and work ethic are two things you need to be successful in any walk of life, and we weren’t prepared and didn’t compete at a high enough level.”
With or without him, the Red Wings need to put that loss behind them and beat the Colorado Avalanche. Otherwise Detroit might see its narrow lead on the eighth seed slip away.
The Red Wings are three points ahead of the ninth place San Jose Sharks, but Detroit has also played in two more games. Meanwhile, the Avalanche are dead last in the Western Conference, making them one of the few teams that aren’t still in the battle for a playoff spot.
The Avalanche have won just two of their last 10 games, but they proved that they weren’t going to just roll over with their 1-0 overtime victory against the Nashville Predators on Saturday.
“It’s been a tough stretch here, the last little while, but not many times have we had a complaint about effort, or work,” Avalanche coach Joe Sacco told the Denver Post after their win on Saturday. “This afternoon we got rewarded. I thought we played really hard.”
We’ll see if that effort is enough to add to Detroit’s woes, or if the Red Wings will shake off their embarrassing loss and beat Colorado.
Top scorers: DET – Pavel Datsyuk (11-24-35, 34 GP) | COL – P.A. Parenteau – (14-21-35, 34 GP)
Detroit – Forwards: Mikael Samuelsson (upper body), Zetterberg (groin), Todd Bertuzzi (back) Defenseman: Kyle Quincey (face)
Colorado – Forwards: Milan Hejduk (shoulder), David Jones (knee), Paul Stastny (foot), Steve Downie (knee) Defenseman: Ryan Wilson (ankle)
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)