Apr 1, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
After scoring 11 points and recording a plus-10 rating in 17 games, LA Kings defenseman Jake Muzzin was named the NHL’s rookie of the month for March on Monday.
Muzzin, 24, is an interesting story. He was selected by the Pens at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, but went unsigned by Pittsburgh and proceeded to ink a free agent deal with the Kings in 2010.
He made the Kings out of training camp that fall, and appeared in 11 games before LA opted to use Alec Martinez in the defensive rotation.
Muzzin spent all of 2011-12 in AHL Manchester and was recalled for last year’s playoff run as a black ace. He was on the winning roster, but didn’t participate in any games and didn’t have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup.
This year was supposed to be more of the same — until Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene were lost to injury (Mitchell hasn’t played this year and is a “long shot” to return; Greene’s only played once but has an outside shot of returning for the playoffs.)
Muzzin has taken full advantage of the playing opportunity. He sits second on the team in d-man scoring — tied with Drew Doughty on 14 points — and is averaging over 18 minutes per game.
As for who he edged out for March’s rookie of the month honors?
— Chicago LW Brandon Saad had 15 points in 14 games.
— Florida center Jonathan Huberdeau had 12 points in 16 games.
— Blues goalie Jake Allen went 5-2-0 with a 2.33 GAA and one shutout.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)