Apr 1, 2013, 10:27 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers managed to eke out a 5-4 overtime win against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but they lost forward Max Talbot in the process.
Talbot scored the Flyers’ first goal of the game, but in the second period he attempted to hit Capitals defenseman Mike Green and missed. He impacted the boards instead and couldn’t seem to put any weight on his leg as he immediately headed for the bench.
The initial fear was that Green’s skate might have sliced his leg, but Flyers GM Paul Holmgren revealed that the 29-year-old forward suffered a broken bone in his left leg and is out indefinitely.
Talbot is one of just five Flyers’ players to participate in all 35 of their contests this season. Philadelphia’s blueline has been decimated by injuries and Talbot is also joining fellow forward Daniel Briere (concussion) on the sidelines.
If you missed the play, you can view it below:
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)