Apr 1, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils, the Eastern Conference champions from last season, cling to a playoff spot and are only two points up on the New York Islanders following a 3-1 loss Monday night.
The Devils are 3-3-4 in their last 10 games and are currently without Ilya Kovalchuk, who remains out of the lineup with a shoulder injury. It was a horrible start that did the Devils in on Monday.
The Islanders scored twice within the first eight minutes of the opening period, before John Tavares provided the insurance in the third period with his 22nd goal of the season.
Following the loss, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer essentially told reporters that New Jersey’s playoff destiny was in its own hands.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)