Apr 1, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils, the Eastern Conference champions from last season, cling to a playoff spot and are only two points up on the New York Islanders following a 3-1 loss Monday night.
The Devils are 3-3-4 in their last 10 games and are currently without Ilya Kovalchuk, who remains out of the lineup with a shoulder injury. It was a horrible start that did the Devils in on Monday.
The Islanders scored twice within the first eight minutes of the opening period, before John Tavares provided the insurance in the third period with his 22nd goal of the season.
Following the loss, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer essentially told reporters that New Jersey’s playoff destiny was in its own hands.
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 6
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)