Apr 1, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils, the Eastern Conference champions from last season, cling to a playoff spot and are only two points up on the New York Islanders following a 3-1 loss Monday night.
The Devils are 3-3-4 in their last 10 games and are currently without Ilya Kovalchuk, who remains out of the lineup with a shoulder injury. It was a horrible start that did the Devils in on Monday.
The Islanders scored twice within the first eight minutes of the opening period, before John Tavares provided the insurance in the third period with his 22nd goal of the season.
Following the loss, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer essentially told reporters that New Jersey’s playoff destiny was in its own hands.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)