Apr 1, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Just two days after suffering a broken jaw that will sideline him indefinitely, Sidney Crosby won the NHL’s first star for the month of March.
Crosby led the league in assists (19) and points (25) as his Penguins set an NHL record for the first perfect month (15 wins) in history.
No. 87 recorded points in 12 of those 15 games and had a whopping eight multi-point contests, including matching a career-high with five assists against the Islanders on Mar. 10.
As mentioned above, Crosby’s month ended on a sour note when he took a puck to the face during Pittsburgh’s 2-0 win over the Islanders on Saturday. The Pens captain will be out for an undetermined length of time after undergoing surgery.
March’s second star went to Montreal defenseman PK Subban.
Subban led all NHL defensemen with 18 points in 14 games and finished first among all players — not just defensemen — with 11 power-play points.
He also put himself in Canadiens lore by becoming the first blueliner to score seven goals in a month in nearly 20 years (the last to do it was Mathieu Schneider in 1994).
Third star went to Columbus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.
In what’s shaping up to be a Vezina-worthy (and possibly Hart-worthy) campaign, Bobrovsky led all goalies with three shutouts in March, finishing second in wins (nine), goals-against average (1.49) and save percentage (.950).
His stellar play saw the Jackets post the most successful month in franchise history. Columbus went 10-2-4 in March and now hold sole possession of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)