Apr 1, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
Just two days after suffering a broken jaw that will sideline him indefinitely, Sidney Crosby won the NHL’s first star for the month of March.
Crosby led the league in assists (19) and points (25) as his Penguins set an NHL record for the first perfect month (15 wins) in history.
No. 87 recorded points in 12 of those 15 games and had a whopping eight multi-point contests, including matching a career-high with five assists against the Islanders on Mar. 10.
As mentioned above, Crosby’s month ended on a sour note when he took a puck to the face during Pittsburgh’s 2-0 win over the Islanders on Saturday. The Pens captain will be out for an undetermined length of time after undergoing surgery.
March’s second star went to Montreal defenseman PK Subban.
Subban led all NHL defensemen with 18 points in 14 games and finished first among all players — not just defensemen — with 11 power-play points.
He also put himself in Canadiens lore by becoming the first blueliner to score seven goals in a month in nearly 20 years (the last to do it was Mathieu Schneider in 1994).
Third star went to Columbus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.
In what’s shaping up to be a Vezina-worthy (and possibly Hart-worthy) campaign, Bobrovsky led all goalies with three shutouts in March, finishing second in wins (nine), goals-against average (1.49) and save percentage (.950).
His stellar play saw the Jackets post the most successful month in franchise history. Columbus went 10-2-4 in March and now hold sole possession of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)