Apr 1, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Just two days after suffering a broken jaw that will sideline him indefinitely, Sidney Crosby won the NHL’s first star for the month of March.
Crosby led the league in assists (19) and points (25) as his Penguins set an NHL record for the first perfect month (15 wins) in history.
No. 87 recorded points in 12 of those 15 games and had a whopping eight multi-point contests, including matching a career-high with five assists against the Islanders on Mar. 10.
As mentioned above, Crosby’s month ended on a sour note when he took a puck to the face during Pittsburgh’s 2-0 win over the Islanders on Saturday. The Pens captain will be out for an undetermined length of time after undergoing surgery.
March’s second star went to Montreal defenseman PK Subban.
Subban led all NHL defensemen with 18 points in 14 games and finished first among all players — not just defensemen — with 11 power-play points.
He also put himself in Canadiens lore by becoming the first blueliner to score seven goals in a month in nearly 20 years (the last to do it was Mathieu Schneider in 1994).
Third star went to Columbus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.
In what’s shaping up to be a Vezina-worthy (and possibly Hart-worthy) campaign, Bobrovsky led all goalies with three shutouts in March, finishing second in wins (nine), goals-against average (1.49) and save percentage (.950).
His stellar play saw the Jackets post the most successful month in franchise history. Columbus went 10-2-4 in March and now hold sole possession of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)