Apr 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Carolina’s muddled goaltending situation got a tad clearer on Monday as the club announced it activated Dan Ellis (leg) from injured reserve.
Ellis, 31, suffered a skate laceration late in the third period of a 4-1 loss to New Jersey on Mar. 21.
Peters’ run hasn’t been great.
While he did record a much-needed victory over Winnipeg on Saturday — snapping Carolina’s seven-game losing streak in the process — his numbers on the year leave something to be desired: 3-4-0, 2.86 GAA, .911 save percentage.
Following a 6-3 loss to Toronto on Thursday, ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller was highly critical of Peters’ play.
“The bottom line is this: we didn’t get the saves,” Muller told NHL.com. “We didn’t get the saves at the right time and it cost us.”
To be fair to all parties involved, this rash of injuries has been difficult to handle, thoroughly testing Carolina’s organizational depth.
The Ellis injury so depleted the goaltending position that John Muse — Peters’ backup in AHL Charlotte — was summoned to dress for the last three games.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Peters will get the start tonight in Montreal, with Ellis serving as his backup.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)