Apr 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Carolina’s muddled goaltending situation got a tad clearer on Monday as the club announced it activated Dan Ellis (leg) from injured reserve.
Ellis, 31, suffered a skate laceration late in the third period of a 4-1 loss to New Jersey on Mar. 21.
Peters’ run hasn’t been great.
While he did record a much-needed victory over Winnipeg on Saturday — snapping Carolina’s seven-game losing streak in the process — his numbers on the year leave something to be desired: 3-4-0, 2.86 GAA, .911 save percentage.
Following a 6-3 loss to Toronto on Thursday, ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller was highly critical of Peters’ play.
“The bottom line is this: we didn’t get the saves,” Muller told NHL.com. “We didn’t get the saves at the right time and it cost us.”
To be fair to all parties involved, this rash of injuries has been difficult to handle, thoroughly testing Carolina’s organizational depth.
The Ellis injury so depleted the goaltending position that John Muse — Peters’ backup in AHL Charlotte — was summoned to dress for the last three games.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Peters will get the start tonight in Montreal, with Ellis serving as his backup.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)