Apr 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Carolina’s muddled goaltending situation got a tad clearer on Monday as the club announced it activated Dan Ellis (leg) from injured reserve.
Ellis, 31, suffered a skate laceration late in the third period of a 4-1 loss to New Jersey on Mar. 21.
Peters’ run hasn’t been great.
While he did record a much-needed victory over Winnipeg on Saturday — snapping Carolina’s seven-game losing streak in the process — his numbers on the year leave something to be desired: 3-4-0, 2.86 GAA, .911 save percentage.
Following a 6-3 loss to Toronto on Thursday, ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller was highly critical of Peters’ play.
“The bottom line is this: we didn’t get the saves,” Muller told NHL.com. “We didn’t get the saves at the right time and it cost us.”
To be fair to all parties involved, this rash of injuries has been difficult to handle, thoroughly testing Carolina’s organizational depth.
The Ellis injury so depleted the goaltending position that John Muse — Peters’ backup in AHL Charlotte — was summoned to dress for the last three games.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Peters will get the start tonight in Montreal, with Ellis serving as his backup.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)