Apr 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Carolina’s muddled goaltending situation got a tad clearer on Monday as the club announced it activated Dan Ellis (leg) from injured reserve.
Ellis, 31, suffered a skate laceration late in the third period of a 4-1 loss to New Jersey on Mar. 21.
Peters’ run hasn’t been great.
While he did record a much-needed victory over Winnipeg on Saturday — snapping Carolina’s seven-game losing streak in the process — his numbers on the year leave something to be desired: 3-4-0, 2.86 GAA, .911 save percentage.
Following a 6-3 loss to Toronto on Thursday, ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller was highly critical of Peters’ play.
“The bottom line is this: we didn’t get the saves,” Muller told NHL.com. “We didn’t get the saves at the right time and it cost us.”
To be fair to all parties involved, this rash of injuries has been difficult to handle, thoroughly testing Carolina’s organizational depth.
The Ellis injury so depleted the goaltending position that John Muse — Peters’ backup in AHL Charlotte — was summoned to dress for the last three games.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Peters will get the start tonight in Montreal, with Ellis serving as his backup.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)