Apr 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Carolina’s muddled goaltending situation got a tad clearer on Monday as the club announced it activated Dan Ellis (leg) from injured reserve.
Ellis, 31, suffered a skate laceration late in the third period of a 4-1 loss to New Jersey on Mar. 21.
Peters’ run hasn’t been great.
While he did record a much-needed victory over Winnipeg on Saturday — snapping Carolina’s seven-game losing streak in the process — his numbers on the year leave something to be desired: 3-4-0, 2.86 GAA, .911 save percentage.
Following a 6-3 loss to Toronto on Thursday, ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller was highly critical of Peters’ play.
“The bottom line is this: we didn’t get the saves,” Muller told NHL.com. “We didn’t get the saves at the right time and it cost us.”
To be fair to all parties involved, this rash of injuries has been difficult to handle, thoroughly testing Carolina’s organizational depth.
The Ellis injury so depleted the goaltending position that John Muse — Peters’ backup in AHL Charlotte — was summoned to dress for the last three games.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer, Peters will get the start tonight in Montreal, with Ellis serving as his backup.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)