Apr 1, 2013, 5:58 PM EST
The Boston Bruins had a welcome participant at practice on Monday as Chris Kelly returned to the ice.
Kelly, 32, hasn’t played since suffering a broken tibia on a knee-on-knee hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Mar. 12.
While he didn’t do much at practice — him and Adam McQuaid (shoulder) only skated briefly — it was another sign that Kelly could be back before the Bruins play their final game against Washington on Apr. 27.
“We’re expecting that he’ll be back prior to the end of the regular season,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told CSN New England. “His injury could have been a lot worse than it ended up being.”
In case you missed it, here’s the hit that injured Kelly:
Kelly called the collision a “hockey play” gone wrong and says Neil “has reached out a few times and he feels pretty badly.”
“I don’t think it was malicious by any means,” said Kelly.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)