Mar 31, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
If you look at just the final score, it seemed like the Dallas Stars suffered a respectable 3-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings on Sunday. That’s not how head coach Glen Gulutzan sees it, though.
He didn’t shy away for blasting his team (which was out-shot a staggering 40-15) to the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika after the game.
“We’re fighting for our lives here, and if we think with performances like that, we can stroll in, we’re mistaken,” Gulutzan said. “We’ve got a three-game series against Anaheim, and after an embarrassing outing in front of our home fans like that, we better come out hard tomorrow … we will come out hard tomorrow, if we have any [expletive].”
(Let’s just say Gulutzan questioned his team’s … intestinal fortitude.)
It’s understandable that the second-year bench boss was incited to make such a comment, as his team had a chance to distance themselves from the pack a little bit. Instead, the Stars find themselves in a logjam behind the eighth-ranked Columbus Blue Jackets for a playoff spot.
We’ll see if the Stars prove they have, um, guts against the Anaheim Ducks on Monday.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40