Mar 31, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
With the trade deadline quickly approaching on Wednesday, the rumor mill is kicking into gear and there are rumblings coming from Chicago.
Tim Sassone of The Daily Herald out of Chicago reports the Blackhawks and Islanders are discussing what would be a big deal. The Hawks have taken an interest in both Frans Nielsen to give them help at center and team captain Mark Streit to boost the blue line. He says the Islanders have an interest in a pair of Chicago prospects in forward Jeremy Morin and defenseman Dylan Olsen.
Rumors being what they are, take it with the appropriate grain of salt but keep in mind this with the Islanders: They’ve been working on trying to get Streit signed to an extension and Nielsen is perhaps their best two-way center. The Islanders are also in a playoff hunt of their own sitting tied for eighth in the Eastern Conference. Upsetting what they’ve got going for them doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense.
The key here seems to be Chicago looking for help on the blue line. Sassone says they’re nervous about Johnny Oduya‘s play of late as their No. 4 defenseman. Streit would be a marked upgrade there.
Update (12:40 p.m. ET): Arthur Staple of New York Newsday helps clear up some of the speculation.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)