Mar 31, 2013, 10:17 AM EST
With the trade deadline quickly approaching on Wednesday, the rumor mill is kicking into gear and there are rumblings coming from Chicago.
Tim Sassone of The Daily Herald out of Chicago reports the Blackhawks and Islanders are discussing what would be a big deal. The Hawks have taken an interest in both Frans Nielsen to give them help at center and team captain Mark Streit to boost the blue line. He says the Islanders have an interest in a pair of Chicago prospects in forward Jeremy Morin and defenseman Dylan Olsen.
Rumors being what they are, take it with the appropriate grain of salt but keep in mind this with the Islanders: They’ve been working on trying to get Streit signed to an extension and Nielsen is perhaps their best two-way center. The Islanders are also in a playoff hunt of their own sitting tied for eighth in the Eastern Conference. Upsetting what they’ve got going for them doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense.
The key here seems to be Chicago looking for help on the blue line. Sassone says they’re nervous about Johnny Oduya‘s play of late as their No. 4 defenseman. Streit would be a marked upgrade there.
Update (12:40 p.m. ET): Arthur Staple of New York Newsday helps clear up some of the speculation.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 5
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)