Mar 31, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
On a team known mostly for its finesse scorers – even on the blueline – Smid is one of those “dirty work” guys every NHL team needs.
He certainly won’t earn his money lighting up the scoreboard. The 27-year-old blueliner has just three points in 34 games played this season after setting a career-high of 15 in 2011-12.
Smid’s an asset because of his stay-at-home defense, though. He’s set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer if a deal doesn’t come to fruition.
The Edmonton Journal’s David Staples explains why $4 million might be a bit steep, but isn’t that far off from the right price:
He’s a keeper, a Top 4 d-man in the NHL, and that $4 million price, while high, while no hometown discount, isn’t anything to complain bitterly about. The Oilers need to get Smid signed, they’re paying for UFA seasons, and a $4 million price is high but fair enough.
We’ll see if that contract extension actually comes to pass as expected, as no announcement has been made either way yet.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
Boston maintaining their hold on a Wild Card spot.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:23 PM EST
Maybe February will be better?
Jan 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EST
Battle of Alberta isn’t what it used to be.
Jan 31, 2015, 8:57 PM EST
Scary moment, but he has stayed in the game.
Jan 31, 2015, 8:27 PM EST
Goal No. 715 of his career.
Jan 31, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
Short-handed, too! *Thumbs up*
Jan 31, 2015, 7:43 PM EST
Starting Sunday, these teams will play each other three times in 16 days.
Jan 31, 2015, 7:16 PM EST
Obviously not smart.
Jan 31, 2015, 6:46 PM EST
Allowed five goals on 20 shots.
Jan 31, 2015, 6:19 PM EST
Two losses in a row for the Islanders.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:53 PM EST
Was put on waivers, cleared, and sent to the minors this week.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:22 PM EST
Took part in team skate on Saturday.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
Detroit is forcing itself into the Stanley Cup conversation.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:08 PM EST
Montreal has put pressure on Tampa Bay in the battle for the Eastern Conference lead.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
He has a degenerative back injury that might lead to career-ending surgery.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:56 PM EST
He gave up five goals against them on Jan. 10.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:57 PM EST
Meanwhile Philadelphia will try to win its fourth straight game.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:57 AM EST
They’ve surpassed the early season expectations.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EST
But he seems very reluctant on the matter.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 7
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 8
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4