Mar 31, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
On a team known mostly for its finesse scorers – even on the blueline – Smid is one of those “dirty work” guys every NHL team needs.
He certainly won’t earn his money lighting up the scoreboard. The 27-year-old blueliner has just three points in 34 games played this season after setting a career-high of 15 in 2011-12.
Smid’s an asset because of his stay-at-home defense, though. He’s set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer if a deal doesn’t come to fruition.
The Edmonton Journal’s David Staples explains why $4 million might be a bit steep, but isn’t that far off from the right price:
He’s a keeper, a Top 4 d-man in the NHL, and that $4 million price, while high, while no hometown discount, isn’t anything to complain bitterly about. The Oilers need to get Smid signed, they’re paying for UFA seasons, and a $4 million price is high but fair enough.
We’ll see if that contract extension actually comes to pass as expected, as no announcement has been made either way yet.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)