Mar 31, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
On a team known mostly for its finesse scorers – even on the blueline – Smid is one of those “dirty work” guys every NHL team needs.
He certainly won’t earn his money lighting up the scoreboard. The 27-year-old blueliner has just three points in 34 games played this season after setting a career-high of 15 in 2011-12.
Smid’s an asset because of his stay-at-home defense, though. He’s set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer if a deal doesn’t come to fruition.
The Edmonton Journal’s David Staples explains why $4 million might be a bit steep, but isn’t that far off from the right price:
He’s a keeper, a Top 4 d-man in the NHL, and that $4 million price, while high, while no hometown discount, isn’t anything to complain bitterly about. The Oilers need to get Smid signed, they’re paying for UFA seasons, and a $4 million price is high but fair enough.
We’ll see if that contract extension actually comes to pass as expected, as no announcement has been made either way yet.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)