Mar 31, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
On a team known mostly for its finesse scorers – even on the blueline – Smid is one of those “dirty work” guys every NHL team needs.
He certainly won’t earn his money lighting up the scoreboard. The 27-year-old blueliner has just three points in 34 games played this season after setting a career-high of 15 in 2011-12.
Smid’s an asset because of his stay-at-home defense, though. He’s set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer if a deal doesn’t come to fruition.
The Edmonton Journal’s David Staples explains why $4 million might be a bit steep, but isn’t that far off from the right price:
He’s a keeper, a Top 4 d-man in the NHL, and that $4 million price, while high, while no hometown discount, isn’t anything to complain bitterly about. The Oilers need to get Smid signed, they’re paying for UFA seasons, and a $4 million price is high but fair enough.
We’ll see if that contract extension actually comes to pass as expected, as no announcement has been made either way yet.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)