Mar 31, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby isn’t the only prominent Pittsburgh Penguins player who underwent surgery this weekend. Defenseman Paul Martin went under the knife on Sunday to repair a broken bone in his wrist, according to the team.
Interestingly, the team places his window of recovery at four-to-six weeks, which is more optimistic than the initial prognosis of “at least” six weeks.
That might seem like splitting hairs until you note that the playoffs will start in about a month. If the 32-year-old makes enough progress to return by the first round, that could be a big deal for Pittsburgh.
After having a tough season or so in Pittsburgh compared to the expectations he came in with by signing a big free agent deal, Martin’s been outstanding in 2013. He has 21 points in 33 games, just three less than he scored in 77 games in 2010-11 and six less than he did in 73 contests last season.
He probably won’t get a chance to improbably equal his numbers in a condensed campaign. The Penguins will settle for getting him back when the games and stats mean more, though.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (56)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)