Mar 31, 2013, 6:19 PM EST
Sidney Crosby isn’t the only prominent Pittsburgh Penguins player who underwent surgery this weekend. Defenseman Paul Martin went under the knife on Sunday to repair a broken bone in his wrist, according to the team.
Interestingly, the team places his window of recovery at four-to-six weeks, which is more optimistic than the initial prognosis of “at least” six weeks.
That might seem like splitting hairs until you note that the playoffs will start in about a month. If the 32-year-old makes enough progress to return by the first round, that could be a big deal for Pittsburgh.
After having a tough season or so in Pittsburgh compared to the expectations he came in with by signing a big free agent deal, Martin’s been outstanding in 2013. He has 21 points in 33 games, just three less than he scored in 77 games in 2010-11 and six less than he did in 73 contests last season.
He probably won’t get a chance to improbably equal his numbers in a condensed campaign. The Penguins will settle for getting him back when the games and stats mean more, though.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)