Video: Flyers’ Talbot shaken up after collision with Caps’ Green

Mar 31, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT

maxtalbotgetty Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers’ worrisome trail of injuries might continue with forward Max Talbot.

He appeared to have trouble putting weight on his left leg after a collision with Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green, prompting the Philadelphia Daily News’ Frank Servalli to describe it as a “serious” issue.

There’s some discussion about the mechanics of the hit (video to come when available).

Some believe that the knee-to-knee happened because Green was trying to avoid a check. Either way, the worry is that Talbot might have been cut by a skate blade, according to observers including the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.

Update:

The Flyers announced that Talbot won’t return after suffering that lower-body injury. Here’s video of the hit, via CSNPhilly.com:

1. sjsharks66 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I like how they carried him out. I have never seen that. Hope talbot is ok. Awkward hit for sure.

2. sportsfreak13 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Man this awful. Hope you get better talbot. One of my favorite players even though he now plays for my arch rival. Injuries suck.

3. hockeyfan28 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Man max has been playing well hope he gets better shame the game was decided cause Voracek decided to stick up for
    his teammate

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM

That instigating a fight with a visor rule is stupid IMO. Players are wearing visors for safety purposes and if the league wants that (talks of making them mandatory) why punish a player more for fighting with one. I think both guys should remove their helmets when fighting to save broken hands and knuckles but still don’t get that rule.

• mp1131211 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You really can’t understand why a sheet of plexiglass protection across your face creates an obvious unfair advantage in a fight?

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Like I said in my comment I think both players should remove their helmets prior to fight. However when 75% of the players have visors on and fights happen spontaneously I think it’s a dumb rule. You think a guy is thinking “crapp I have a visor I can’t stand up for my teammate”. Just my opinion.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM

BS. The Caps got an absolute gift on a horrendous call. I try not to complain about refs but that was a joke. To basically throw Voracek out of the game and give the Caps a 4-min PP in a 2-2 game in the 3rd is laughable. The Flyers got hosed.

• whammy71 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM

PhillyPhalicSymbol – cry, cry, cry…….that’s all you ever do. Come on man……go a pair!

• whammy71 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM

*grow a pair

• ravenscaps48 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

And you guys got a horrendous icing call because of Kimo Timonenn. That was PATHETIC

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Are you serious WHAMMY? Show me where I “cry, cry, cry”… I never saw you post anything until the Pens got on a huge winning streak and acquired another hall of famer. Guess you thought it was finally safe to get on the bandwagon. Gimme a break dude you’re the ultimate fair weather fan. But really show me evidence where I “cry, cry, cry” then maybe I’ll “go a pair”. All you do is troll, try bringing an original thought or a logical point for once… WHAMMY

• mp1131211 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Just read your above comment, philly….

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Ravenscaps… an icing call is A LOT different than giving a team a 4 minute PP in a hard fought, tied game in the 3rd period. On top of that they took Voracek off the ice for the rest of the game for wearing a shield! The league wants players to wear shields but if you “start” a fight and you happen to have one then you’re getting 2 minors and a misconduct? That’s absurd. It’s totally illogical. I thought the refs were totally inconsistent, towards both teams.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Don’t engage him PP77. Whammy71 loves it in his a$$

• whammy71 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Pens fan since before Mario – just got tired of reading all the garbage from the Cryer fans – then once the Beantown Bozos started crying like Cryer fans…..I decided to jump in.

Proof Cryer fans spew nonsense….go to any Penguin thread.

Proof Beantown Bozos were crying about Iggy hosing them over…..go read the Jagr trade bait thread.

Get your clubs out and shine up your golf shoes. Yinz Only got 4 more weeks of hockey.

• ml3939 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I thought I also saw Green leave his feet to hit Rinaldo as well as Ovechkin get away with a slash on Simmonds. Bad calls happen both ways, unless it’s Hartnell. He earns every one of his penalties.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM

whammy just learned who Mario Lemieux the player was. He only knows him as the guy who threatened to relocate to Kansas City if they didn’t get toothless Cindy. Oh and he still likes butt sex. WHAMMY!!!

4. garryjercia - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Decided. I guess the fly boys just decided to win

5. bobhpine - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Mike Green ducking a hit? No way. I hope someone puts him through the boards for that. Talbot is the only Flyer who isn’t completely worthless. For shame, Green.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Jerome Iginla is the only Hen that isn’t worthless. See you in the first round pole smoker.

• 19to77 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Ha. Still some optimists left in Philadelphia, I see. Seriously, prepare for a long, golf-filled summer.

• mp1131211 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Green didn’t duck anything. Talbot missed. Poorly timed check, that’s all. Watch the video again. This is just an unfortunate occurrence. I have trouble seeing how this is a skate cut unless its the end of the blade puncturing the hamstring.

• ml3939 - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Bobhpiningforattention is definitely worthless.

6. sadskinsfan89 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

@ravenscaps. So r u a ravens fan that loves dc during hockey season but hates dc during football season?

• ravenscaps48 - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

1.) Baltimore does not have a hockey team
      2.) Where have I ever stated that I hate the Redskins
      3.) Why are Capitals fans ganging up on one another?
      4.) How’s RG3’s Knee?

7. malkinrulez - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I hope Max is all right, any update on what his injury is? I heard he cut himself with his skate.

• wettwork - Apr 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I think hey may have hit with a puck ?

8. wethog66 - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Title of this post needs to be changed to:

Video: Flyers’ Talbot shaken up after missing check on Caps’ Green

9. wettwork - Apr 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM

For real though tuff luck Mad Maximus ! loved ya as a Penguin, thanks always for game 7 get well soon !!!
    Flyers are ass ….