Mar 31, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
A month ago, the Chicago Blackhawks squeaked by the Detroit Red Wings via a shootout. This Sunday, it was a blowout instead, with Chicago winning 7-1. Let’s get to the talking points.
- The Red Wings are parked in seventh place in the West with 39 points (17-13-5 in 35 games). How worried should Detroit be about missing the playoffs?
- Speaking of which, should Detroit look to the trade market to bolster its banged-up lineup? While Johan Franzen came back today, Henrik Zetterberg was an injury scratch and Mikael Samuelsson‘s return to action didn’t last very long.
- Pivoting on the trade deadline question: what kind of pieces should the powerhouse Blackhawks ponder? Is Mark Streit really the guy that might push them over the top?
- Would Detroit be a better first-round matchup for Chicago than the St. Louis Blues? What about other teams that are lingering around the eighth spot area like the San Jose Sharks, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Nashville Predators or Columbus Blue Jackets?
- How good is Brandon Saad, really? He’s been red-hot lately.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)