Crosby update: He’s in ‘good spirits,’ injury won’t alter Penguins’ deadline plans

Mar 31, 2013, 5:33 PM EST

crosbytowelgetty Getty Images

Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero provided an update on the health of Sidney Crosby – and his franchise – after visiting the star in the hospital on Sunday.

First things first, Shero seemed upbeat about Crosby’s status, as he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.

“He was up and around, in good spirits. The doctor did a good job,” Shero said. “I thought he looked better than I thought he would.”

He noted that the 25-year-old star’s jaw wasn’t wired shut and reiterated the updates that a) Crosby is out indefinitely and b) “indefinitely” doesn’t necessarily mean a ton of time. Shero said he’ll need more time to tell if the team’s captain will be ready for the playoffs.

Crosby’s injury brought out an unexpected question this weekend: are the Penguins really done dealing, as many expected after they acquired Jarome Iginla?

Shero wasn’t specific, merely saying that losing the NHL’s leading scorer for an unclear amount of time won’t alter their plans. Does that mean they aren’t looking to make any other moves or that they still want to bolster the lineup?

It sounds like we’ll need to just wait and see.

1. seawurd - Mar 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

eigglesnosuperbowls…..before you get the chance to say something stupid I wanted to post on here and call you an asshole.

• govtminion - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM

It’s not often an internet comment make me literally laugh out loud, but… congratulations, sir, you have officially made my Sunday. Bravo!

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

govtminion Iam sure its not the first time an H-MO made your day !

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM

seaturd its quite obvious by your posts your a frustrated H-MO

• upyoursnfu - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I can see eigglesnosuperbowl crying now in his parents basement

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Nobody wants to see what you and seaturd are doing in your moms basement !

• upyoursnfu - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Eigglescantspelleaglesnosuperbowl must have checked in a dozen times to thumbs down my comment to look like he has a following. Cry on little boy….cry on.

2. jdrew506 - Mar 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Ok now this is getting alittle much. Are we now going to be getting updates on every time he takes a piss. I know he is a great player and the so called face of the NHL but do we really need 3-4 updates a day about this. There are players that get injured everyday in hockey and there is not even a mention of it, enough is enough already.

• ucaneverscorenoughgoals - Mar 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Who are these other players you speak of?

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Probably wouldn’t have so many articles if everyone didn’t click to read and then post countless comments. Way to contribute to the very thing you despise. Smart man you are.

3. chrisk61 - Mar 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

too bad his jaw isn’t wired shut. then he might quit whining and crying for 5 minutes.

• pens5829 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Someone needs to break your fingers so you’d stop typing such f–king stoopidity.

4. seawurd - Mar 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM

jdrew506….keep your mouth shut unless someone is paying you to slobber on their cock

5. gamechanger87 - Mar 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

This Greek God will be back in the lineup by Tuesday, mark my words!

6. sjsharksfan11 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM

The game is better without the Crosbaby

• drone501 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM

u are a stupid ass sharks fan. u must live in san jose by way of philly.

• ironman721 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM

NHL ratings are better without the sharks. Move along little troll.

7. aso513 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Man the originality of these comments and nicknames for Sid never disappoint. Lots of tools commenting here.

Crosby isn’t on your team, you wish he was, move on.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM

If his jaw had been wired shut I was going to suggest Sid the Grid, but since we hear that is not the case, I’ll just say as a hockey fan I’m looking forward to his return as soon as possible.

8. letsgopens8771 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

They may just save him up so he is 100% for the playoffs. At least we have Geno, Neal & Iggy. This is why Shero got Morrow and Iggy, because they can provide leadership in the room when Sid isn’t there. I think Sid will be fine. I don’t think the Penguins need to do any more trade wise, they are already really deep in all positions… (Vitale, Jeffrey, Bennett, Despres, Big Bort, etc.)

9. martysbetter - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Yeesh, a broken jaw is the kind of thing you can’t really rush into full contact with – I think pegging him as ready for the playoffs (as mentioned in previous articles) is a little ambitious.

10. mnfan2013 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Sjsharksfan11 …. love your comment … just remember who helped Pittsburgh land Crosby (Gary Bettman). Another whiner . Let Crosby come back . I hope somebody hits him again . How much money did Crosby sign for $110 million over how many years ? Hurt once again . Media all over it again . GETS REALLY OLD

11. jdrew506 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Someone needs to teach you English so you don’t sound like a f–king idiot.

12. biffnasty - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

sadly, cindy will now have his boyfriends man juice spoon fed to him

• handsofsweed - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Thanks. We could really have lived without you sharing your h0m0erotic fantasies with all of us. Next time you get the urge, keep it to yourself.

• drone501 - Mar 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM

like i had your moms juices this mornin .

• biffnasty - Mar 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Good one..lol..guess it better than talking bout your father playing hide the sausage in your ballon knot

13. JoeAvg - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM

This is good news. Was waiting to hear something more official than what’s been said so far.

Long time Pens fans are used to this from Mario’s days. In the lineup..out of the lineup..in the lineup..out of the lineup…

Get better Sid.

14. dabutcha114 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I hate u Sid.

15. jhuck92 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM

It sounds like Iginla/Malkin time for the first line

16. sjsharks66 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Good news. I remember when the same thing happened to Eaves. He missed A LOT of time and was miserable. Anytime a player takes a puck to the jaw/mouth it is a scary situation. No matter what the rivalry is.

• aso513 - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You aren’t even good at being a troll, just a really big loser.

17. dropthepuckeh - Mar 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Not a Penguins fan but hope he returns sooner than later. I would imagine that the doctors will be incredibly careful with him given his concussion history. While I recognize there was no talk of a concussion on this play, given the speed and force of the puck hitting his head, it is very hard to believe it can’t be a very big concern.

18. andyisfat - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

WAAAAH. Cindy needs her mommy.

• comeonnowguys - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

So are you going to have to get a new user name now he’s in KC?

19. lp0320 - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Losing a player the caliber of Sidney Crosby not home hurts the team, but hurts the game. But more than that, the posters who are happy that he’s hurt are pretty low. The man is an amazing hockey player. He worked his a*s off to end the lockout and bring hockey back for this year.

He is not injury prone, an errant puck can hit anyone at anytime. Just ask Staal, or anyone else who catches one in the face. That being said, the Penguins are still in a position to make a run for the cup, with or without Crosby. Now they might just have to work a little harder at it.

20. mnfan2013 - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Are we still talking about CINDY ? Give it a rest . it sounds like you Penguins fans are the only ones who cares . Oh and the media . Did anybody watch the Duke/Louisville game today ? That ball player who broke is leg was far worse than Cindy’s injury .

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

So go to college basketball talk ,read their article and comment there.

21. bobhpine - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I so thoroughly enjoy the conspiracy theory that the NHL is rigging the game to help the Pittsburgh Penguins. I’m sure they are doing so because of the immense size of the Pittsburgh market. Or maybe it’s because Mario Lemieux is the owner of the team, someone who has been openly critical about how the NHL operates for decades. I’m sure the brain trust is out to reward Mario for calling the NHL a garage league…which it is more often than not.

Wait a minute. Look who has one the cup recently. LA, Chicago, Boston…maybe they’re rigging it so only big market cities will win. Yeah that’s it!

It all sounds absurd. I know this is a forum for mostly dumb people to say dumb and aggressive things, but the conspiracy crap is really beyond the pail.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM

“Look who has one the cup recently.” *won
      “(T)he conspiracy crap is really beyond the pail.” *pale

Seriously, bob, how is it possible to correctly spell a word like conspiracy while utterly bombing a couple of single-syllable tip-ins? Did you go to the beach this past weekend?

22. blomfeld - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:13 AM

HAS “GIRL POWER” DERAILED ?

I personally have little interest in Eastern Conference happenings, apart from some of the major events that occur, which this one clearly is. And on that note, I say that Crosby gone for “whatever” length of time, is a “complete and unmitigated” disaster for the flightless birds of Pittsburgh! I like Crosby by and large and I think that he probably “means well” at the end of the day. Nonetheless, this has to be a very serious blow to any hopes they had of meeting us LA Kings “there on the high ground” come June …

23. bbk1000 - Apr 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I was hoping to find out what Cindy’s whining would sound like through clenched teeth, but since his jaw isn’t wired shut I guess we’ll just have to continue hearing him moan about everything….albeit a little slower…

24. lsxphotog - Apr 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I’m still at a loss here as to why anything and everything Crosby is so noteworthy. I stay out of most Crosby posts because I don’t want to contribute to his ego, but I actually laughed at this one. No, I’m not happy he got hurt. But, it’s hilarious to watch how this guy is getting talked about and treated. Staal suffered what could be a life-altering injury on and off the ice and not even a peep beyond a visor discussion. This guy gets a black biscuit to the mouth and we get updates on his hospital meals and his condition is treated like he almost died. So of course I laugh, this is a joke. But, I guess that is the way of the road with Crosby. Shame on me for not believing he or the sporting media wouldn’t find a way to milk this cow.

Once his jaw gets wired shut, I’m sure Pierre McGuire’s room visitations will stop. haha I had to!

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches