Mar 31, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
The Penguins announced Crosby would be out indefinitely after having surgery for a broken jaw following yesterday’s puck in the face. Sid the Kid spent the night in the hospital after reportedly having oral surgery when Orpik’s deflected slap shot hit him in the mouth, knocking out some teeth.
If there’s a positive out of this so far it’s that there has been no talk of a possible concussion, but the Penguins will update Crosby’s condition later this week.
Losing Crosby at all is no small thing, even for a star-studded lineup like Pittsburgh has. He’s leading the league in points with 56, 10 more than the next best scorer in the league, Steven Stamkos of Tampa Bay. Good thing for the Pens that they’ve loaded up on veteran talent, huh?
Here’s the NBC panel discussing Crosby’s gruesome injury.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)