Mar 31, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
The Penguins announced Crosby would be out indefinitely after having surgery for a broken jaw following yesterday’s puck in the face. Sid the Kid spent the night in the hospital after reportedly having oral surgery when Orpik’s deflected slap shot hit him in the mouth, knocking out some teeth.
If there’s a positive out of this so far it’s that there has been no talk of a possible concussion, but the Penguins will update Crosby’s condition later this week.
Losing Crosby at all is no small thing, even for a star-studded lineup like Pittsburgh has. He’s leading the league in points with 56, 10 more than the next best scorer in the league, Steven Stamkos of Tampa Bay. Good thing for the Pens that they’ve loaded up on veteran talent, huh?
Here’s the NBC panel discussing Crosby’s gruesome injury.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 31
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)