Mar 31, 2013, 2:55 PM EST
The Penguins announced Crosby would be out indefinitely after having surgery for a broken jaw following yesterday’s puck in the face. Sid the Kid spent the night in the hospital after reportedly having oral surgery when Orpik’s deflected slap shot hit him in the mouth, knocking out some teeth.
If there’s a positive out of this so far it’s that there has been no talk of a possible concussion, but the Penguins will update Crosby’s condition later this week.
Losing Crosby at all is no small thing, even for a star-studded lineup like Pittsburgh has. He’s leading the league in points with 56, 10 more than the next best scorer in the league, Steven Stamkos of Tampa Bay. Good thing for the Pens that they’ve loaded up on veteran talent, huh?
Here’s the NBC panel discussing Crosby’s gruesome injury.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 0
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)