Mar 31, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
The Penguins announced Crosby would be out indefinitely after having surgery for a broken jaw following yesterday’s puck in the face. Sid the Kid spent the night in the hospital after reportedly having oral surgery when Orpik’s deflected slap shot hit him in the mouth, knocking out some teeth.
If there’s a positive out of this so far it’s that there has been no talk of a possible concussion, but the Penguins will update Crosby’s condition later this week.
Losing Crosby at all is no small thing, even for a star-studded lineup like Pittsburgh has. He’s leading the league in points with 56, 10 more than the next best scorer in the league, Steven Stamkos of Tampa Bay. Good thing for the Pens that they’ve loaded up on veteran talent, huh?
Here’s the NBC panel discussing Crosby’s gruesome injury.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 23
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)