Mar 31, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Capitals aren’t taking any chances with Michael Neuvirth’s health. The Caps backup goalie took a puck to the head in practice on Friday and while he was slated to start tonight against Philadelphia, instead he’s being replaced in the lineup.
Washington recalled prospect goalie Philipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey to take Neuvirth’s spot on the bench to back up Braden Holtby. As coach Adam Oates tells reporters, as shared by Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times, there’s no reason to take chances with a player’s health.
“We’re going to take precautions,” Oates said Sunday morning. “He doesn’t feel great. The medical guys will handle what we’re supposed to do.”
Grubauer is a guy the Capitals like a lot, but his stay with the team this time may be short-lived. Chances are if we see him tonight, it doesn’t mean good things for Washington against the Flyers.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)