Mar 31, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Capitals aren’t taking any chances with Michael Neuvirth’s health. The Caps backup goalie took a puck to the head in practice on Friday and while he was slated to start tonight against Philadelphia, instead he’s being replaced in the lineup.
Washington recalled prospect goalie Philipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey to take Neuvirth’s spot on the bench to back up Braden Holtby. As coach Adam Oates tells reporters, as shared by Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times, there’s no reason to take chances with a player’s health.
“We’re going to take precautions,” Oates said Sunday morning. “He doesn’t feel great. The medical guys will handle what we’re supposed to do.”
Grubauer is a guy the Capitals like a lot, but his stay with the team this time may be short-lived. Chances are if we see him tonight, it doesn’t mean good things for Washington against the Flyers.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)