Mar 31, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Capitals aren’t taking any chances with Michael Neuvirth’s health. The Caps backup goalie took a puck to the head in practice on Friday and while he was slated to start tonight against Philadelphia, instead he’s being replaced in the lineup.
Washington recalled prospect goalie Philipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey to take Neuvirth’s spot on the bench to back up Braden Holtby. As coach Adam Oates tells reporters, as shared by Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times, there’s no reason to take chances with a player’s health.
“We’re going to take precautions,” Oates said Sunday morning. “He doesn’t feel great. The medical guys will handle what we’re supposed to do.”
Grubauer is a guy the Capitals like a lot, but his stay with the team this time may be short-lived. Chances are if we see him tonight, it doesn’t mean good things for Washington against the Flyers.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 16
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 22
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)