Mar 31, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
After being run out of the building by Edmonton last night, the Canucks are making some moves.
Vancouver is sending Zack Kassian to AHL Chicago on a conditioning assignment and calling up forwards Nicklas Jensen and Bill Sweatt. Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun reports what the team’s motivation is for sending Kassian down.
“He needs to play,” Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said before the team left Edmonton for San Jose late Sunday morning.
“We want him to get a little bit more ice time. He has been out for a little bit more than two weeks, on and off, and we felt for now he needed to play and we are going to send him down there.”
Kassian hasn’t played since March 19 against St. Louis, a game where he saw just 2:48 of ice time before leaving with a back injury. With Vancouver in a battle with Minnesota atop the Northwest Division, letting Kassian work out the kinks in a playoff battle didn’t seem wise.
All that aside, Kassian’s struggles this season and seeing Cody Hodgson having a solid season for Buffalo while the Canucks having holes to fill at center has some fans looking back on that trade last season with some grumbles.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)