Mar 31, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
After being run out of the building by Edmonton last night, the Canucks are making some moves.
Vancouver is sending Zack Kassian to AHL Chicago on a conditioning assignment and calling up forwards Nicklas Jensen and Bill Sweatt. Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun reports what the team’s motivation is for sending Kassian down.
“He needs to play,” Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said before the team left Edmonton for San Jose late Sunday morning.
“We want him to get a little bit more ice time. He has been out for a little bit more than two weeks, on and off, and we felt for now he needed to play and we are going to send him down there.”
Kassian hasn’t played since March 19 against St. Louis, a game where he saw just 2:48 of ice time before leaving with a back injury. With Vancouver in a battle with Minnesota atop the Northwest Division, letting Kassian work out the kinks in a playoff battle didn’t seem wise.
All that aside, Kassian’s struggles this season and seeing Cody Hodgson having a solid season for Buffalo while the Canucks having holes to fill at center has some fans looking back on that trade last season with some grumbles.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)