Mar 31, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
Don’t look now, but the Columbus Blue Jackets are now ranked eighth in the Western Conference thanks to Sunday’s 2-1 OT win against the Anaheim Ducks.
OK, sure, it will probably be fleeting. They have 37 points but they’ve done it in 36 games played. Here’s how that compares to the logjam behind them:
St. Louis: 36 points (33 games played)
Dallas and Edmonton: 35 points (34 GP)
Nashville: 35 points (35 GP)
All four of those teams have at least 14 wins, so if they win their next respective games, they’ll all be (at least) tied with the Blue Jackets. In other words, it could be a huge tumble from eighth.
Still, how many people would have expected the Blue Jackets to even be in the conversation this season?
Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 29 out of 30 shots, improving his record to 12-8-6 and ending a three-game losing streak. If nothing else, the dark horse Vezina candidate has give this team some reason to believe about both the present and the future.
So try not to make too many April Fools jokes, then.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)