Mar 31, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
Don’t look now, but the Columbus Blue Jackets are now ranked eighth in the Western Conference thanks to Sunday’s 2-1 OT win against the Anaheim Ducks.
OK, sure, it will probably be fleeting. They have 37 points but they’ve done it in 36 games played. Here’s how that compares to the logjam behind them:
St. Louis: 36 points (33 games played)
Dallas and Edmonton: 35 points (34 GP)
Nashville: 35 points (35 GP)
All four of those teams have at least 14 wins, so if they win their next respective games, they’ll all be (at least) tied with the Blue Jackets. In other words, it could be a huge tumble from eighth.
Still, how many people would have expected the Blue Jackets to even be in the conversation this season?
Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 29 out of 30 shots, improving his record to 12-8-6 and ending a three-game losing streak. If nothing else, the dark horse Vezina candidate has give this team some reason to believe about both the present and the future.
So try not to make too many April Fools jokes, then.
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 5
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 6
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 16
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 29
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 39
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)