Mar 31, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
Don’t look now, but the Columbus Blue Jackets are now ranked eighth in the Western Conference thanks to Sunday’s 2-1 OT win against the Anaheim Ducks.
OK, sure, it will probably be fleeting. They have 37 points but they’ve done it in 36 games played. Here’s how that compares to the logjam behind them:
St. Louis: 36 points (33 games played)
Dallas and Edmonton: 35 points (34 GP)
Nashville: 35 points (35 GP)
All four of those teams have at least 14 wins, so if they win their next respective games, they’ll all be (at least) tied with the Blue Jackets. In other words, it could be a huge tumble from eighth.
Still, how many people would have expected the Blue Jackets to even be in the conversation this season?
Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 29 out of 30 shots, improving his record to 12-8-6 and ending a three-game losing streak. If nothing else, the dark horse Vezina candidate has give this team some reason to believe about both the present and the future.
So try not to make too many April Fools jokes, then.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)