Mar 31, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
Don’t look now, but the Columbus Blue Jackets are now ranked eighth in the Western Conference thanks to Sunday’s 2-1 OT win against the Anaheim Ducks.
OK, sure, it will probably be fleeting. They have 37 points but they’ve done it in 36 games played. Here’s how that compares to the logjam behind them:
St. Louis: 36 points (33 games played)
Dallas and Edmonton: 35 points (34 GP)
Nashville: 35 points (35 GP)
All four of those teams have at least 14 wins, so if they win their next respective games, they’ll all be (at least) tied with the Blue Jackets. In other words, it could be a huge tumble from eighth.
Still, how many people would have expected the Blue Jackets to even be in the conversation this season?
Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 29 out of 30 shots, improving his record to 12-8-6 and ending a three-game losing streak. If nothing else, the dark horse Vezina candidate has give this team some reason to believe about both the present and the future.
So try not to make too many April Fools jokes, then.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)