Mar 30, 2013, 12:09 AM EST
The first game without Iginla, the club’s former captain who had played in Calgary for 16 regular seasons, produced a loss for the Flames, as they were defeated 6-4 by the Columbus Blue Jackets.
But after 16 seasons, 1,219 games, 525 goals and 1,095 points in a Flames uniform – not to mention a trip to the 2004 Stanley Cup Final – a video tribute was necessary.
With Iginla gone, the captaincy is now vacant, however the Flames will wait until the summer to announce a replacement.
Iginla needed a work visa to play in the U.S., and, as per NHL.com, that issue has been resolved, which means he is expected in Pittsburgh on Saturday.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)