Mar 30, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
The first game without Iginla, the club’s former captain who had played in Calgary for 16 regular seasons, produced a loss for the Flames, as they were defeated 6-4 by the Columbus Blue Jackets.
But after 16 seasons, 1,219 games, 525 goals and 1,095 points in a Flames uniform – not to mention a trip to the 2004 Stanley Cup Final – a video tribute was necessary.
With Iginla gone, the captaincy is now vacant, however the Flames will wait until the summer to announce a replacement.
Iginla needed a work visa to play in the U.S., and, as per NHL.com, that issue has been resolved, which means he is expected in Pittsburgh on Saturday.
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 0
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)