Mar 30, 2013, 12:09 AM EST
The first game without Iginla, the club’s former captain who had played in Calgary for 16 regular seasons, produced a loss for the Flames, as they were defeated 6-4 by the Columbus Blue Jackets.
But after 16 seasons, 1,219 games, 525 goals and 1,095 points in a Flames uniform – not to mention a trip to the 2004 Stanley Cup Final – a video tribute was necessary.
With Iginla gone, the captaincy is now vacant, however the Flames will wait until the summer to announce a replacement.
Iginla needed a work visa to play in the U.S., and, as per NHL.com, that issue has been resolved, which means he is expected in Pittsburgh on Saturday.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (55)