Mar 30, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
The Flyers may or may not be a team to mix things up at the trade deadline, but they got a head start on action today by helping fill out their injured defensive ranks.
Philadelphia acquired blue liner Kent Huskins from the Detroit Red Wings for a conditional 2014 draft pick. Huskins was signed by the Red Wings earlier this season after going through a spell of defensive injuries of their own.
With Carlo Colaiacovo back from a shoulder injury, Brian Lashoff proving his worth, and newcomer Danny DeKeyser being signed, Huskins found himself as a healthy scratch more often than not on a team needing to clear a roster spot. In 11 games this season, he has no points and four penalty minutes.
Philly’s lost Andrej Meszaros and Braydon Coburn indefinitely with separate injuries and called up Oliver Lauridsen up from the AHL to play this afternoon against Boston. Huskins will at least give them a veteran to fill in rather than a rookie who may not be ready for the show.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)